Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Yet Another Trackbar/Control Arm ?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Yet Another Trackbar/Control Arm ?

Sorry if everyone has to repeat themselves but there is too much info on the site that my head can not wrap itself aruond it all. So here goes-I put in the RC 2.5 coil lift with 2.2 shocks, ProComp 17" wheels and 285/70 BFG All-Terrains, and the RC dual stabilizer. Everything is great except I now notice that the steering feels a little light even though I have been playing with the air pressures. I know the caster is a little light and the axles are not perfectly centered. What would you guys do and whose products would you use? I like the looks of the TF stuff and also JKS. Also, is there any caster adjustment at all on the stock arms? I refuse to do the cambolt/oblong the holes crap. Adjustable trackbars or frame bracket pros/cons would help me also because I remember reading something about roll center issues. Again sorry for being long winded but the wife and son use this vehicle too and I do not want any issues. I have checked all torques on trackbars and control arms,etc to avoid the DW. Thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 11:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you might want to add a 1/16" more toe but ultimately, flighty steering is a caster issue. installing a set of adjustable lower control arms and lenghtening them a bit to give you more positive caster will help out a lot.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be amazed how nice it will drive if you throw on some adj. lower front arms like WOL said. It will be a sportscar compaired to the way it drives now.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default track bar

If you r looking 4 a track bar... i just put a Rustys Off Road 3.25 lift in my 2007 and it came with verry nice front and rear track bars. Verry Beafy
Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those uppers are the exception I think, as most will NOT get short enough to adjust caster. That is a good way to increase caster if you want to use them IMO. If you feel a lower like teraflex or FT you will want that scraping across rocks instead of the dinky factory arms I bet.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
How about adjustable upper control arms as an alternative. Per David at Northridge Currie has some arms that will adjust short enough to increase your caster without lengthening your wheelbase.
yup, the currie upper arms will do the trick
Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

So besides the Curries would you guys suggest TF's trackbars and arms,JKS or anyone else?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by ejb17
So besides the Curries would you guys suggest TF's trackbars and arms,JKS or anyone else?
sure. those are all good manufacturers. the currie front uppers are just the only ones that i know of that can be shortend enough to give you sufficient positive caster is all. but, you can always add more positive caster with adjustable lowers too.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
How about adjustable upper control arms as an alternative. Per David at Northridge Currie has some arms that will adjust short enough to increase your caster without lengthening your wheelbase.
But as you lift the Jeep, the axles follow an arc that lends them to shorten the wheelbase. Wouldn't the longer adjusted lower arms correct for this?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

So last night I measured the caster on both sides up front with a digital angle finder. The left side bounced between 3.7 and 3.8. The right side was 3.7. I now know that it is for sure a little light and was wondering what spec is and if I should go a little more because of the bigger tires? I am still deciding whose arms and front track to buy. I have decided on the TF rear trackbar bracket for the axle housing. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Trackbar/Control Arm ?