Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Yet another lift question!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another lift question!

Hey guys so I want to lift my Jeep (2013 stock 2 door sport) so I found out I can only lift it 2" because if I go any higher I will void my warranty. I was told to get the Mopar lift but for a cost just shy of 2K you've got to be freakin kidding me. So my question is there a quality 2" suspension lift kit that I won't break the bank with? Thanks everyone!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size tires? What type of wheeling?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rizzo22
Hey guys so I want to lift my Jeep (2013 stock 2 door sport) so I found out I can only lift it 2" because if I go any higher I will void my warranty. I was told to get the Mopar lift but for a cost just shy of 2K you've got to be freakin kidding me. So my question is there a quality 2" suspension lift kit that I won't break the bank with? Thanks everyone!
I went Rancho 2" Sport lift on my 4 door for the same reasons. I've been very happy with the results.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

2" lift works out nicely since there is minimal geometry change, less parts involved, less deviation from the original design. Dirtman has a writeup that's worth reading. One should decide if tires and/or wheel offset is changing. Suggest spending some quality time reading up on what's out there, and comments from users.

My lift/tires are in my profile, and for me it's a good on/off road compromise. On the highway, still getting the same MPG as stock, and can let go of the steering wheel for a 10 count on a good road and still be in the same lane.

Last edited by Mr.T; 07-11-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure where you received this info regarding voiding your warranty by installing a lift greater than two inches. If you are speaking of the factory warranty there are several conversations on the forum speaking of this. If this is a warranty offered by a third party and it's in a written contract then disregard the below. A search should pull these up. One place to start would be a sticky called Modified Tech FAQ. This is part of that post.

Q: Will installing a lift void my warranty?
A: No, it shouldn't. In order for your dealer to deny repairs to a break on your Jeep, they would need to prove that the damage was caused specifically by the lift. Having said that, your dealership can "flag" or place a restriction on your Jeep and this will in effect make it very difficult to have warranty work done.

Last edited by toolow262; 07-11-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by toolow262
... One place to start would be a sticky called Modified Tech FAQ. This is part of that post.

Q: Will installing a lift void my warranty?
A: No, it shouldn't. In order for your dealer to deny repairs to a break on your Jeep, they would need to prove that the damage was caused specifically by the lift. Having said that, your dealership can "flag" or place a restriction on your Jeep and this will in effect make it very difficult to have warranty work done.
There's stories of people either denied warranty claims or told various modifications would void all/part of their warranty -- And there's dealers that install 4" lifts and say the warranty is intact. Check this delaer out David Ellis Chrysler Jeep | New Chrysler, Jeep dealership in Canoga Park, CA 91304. Is that "warranty" good anywhere else beside that dealership? Is it Jeep's warranty, or the dealer/lift manufacturer's warranty? Do the balljoints, driveshafts, axles, etc all have the same factory warranty good at any dealer?

It looks to me that the way the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act applies in real life is this: A dealer/manufacturer can assert that some modification, even a dealer installed Mopar lift, caused some failure and it's not covered. Maybe it's legit, like big tires put extra wear on balljoints, clutch, or transmission. Or maybe it's a stretch like the extra engine load caused the engine to crack an exhaust manifold. In any case, once they conclude that the modification or aftermarket part led to the warranty claim, the burden of proof otherwise is on the owner.

That's why I buy used, less cost and less BS.

Last edited by Mr.T; 07-11-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toolow262
Not sure where you received this info regarding voiding your warranty by installing a lift greater than two inches. If you are speaking of the factory warranty there are several conversations on the forum speaking of this. If this is a warranty offered by a third party and it's in a written contract then disregard the below. A search should pull these up. One place to start would be a sticky called Modified Tech FAQ. This is part of that post. Q: Will installing a lift void my warranty? A: No, it shouldn't. In order for your dealer to deny repairs to a break on your Jeep, they would need to prove that the damage was caused specifically by the lift. Having said that, your dealership can "flag" or place a restriction on your Jeep and this will in effect make it very difficult to have warranty work done.
Interesting ill look into it some more it's just what the dealership told me.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting ill look into it some more it's just what the dealership told me.
I was just looking around for you but couldn't find it. There use to be a post that someone put up regarding their experience on this topic. If I remember right it was a pretty good read and had a lot of eye opening material. If I come a crossed it I'll post up the link.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 AM
JK Newbie

No one seems to be suggesting things for you ha... My dealer basically told me and had it written down as well, that if mopar has a lift for it then there shouldn't be much to worry about. Naturally if you go above the suggested 2" you WILL run into issues with other parts on the jeep that need be addressed (control arms, drive shafts, etc.)....

With that being said look into the rock krawler 1.5" systems... They will give you more than 1.5" on most jeeps, depending on how heavy of armor, bumpers, and accessories you have on the jeep. Also they have the adjustability factor a lot of kits don't...
Old 07-12-2014, 01:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a dealer that is telling you a lift over 2" will void your warranty or that you have to run "their" lift I would find another dealer to work with. There are plenty out there that are more mood friendly and willing to work with you.

Quick Reply: Yet another lift question!