Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Yet another headlight question

Old 10-13-2016, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another headlight question

I don't do a lot of night time driving in my JK so I'm not looking to drop $300 into headlights. I was looking on amazon and found a set of LED headlights, but I'm not sure if it will need an canbus relay. Does anyone know if it will need one or am I good to go without it? Here's the item: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01JYC0O...G2T15YZ6&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	61VAj9FTzrL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	658817
Old 10-13-2016, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepinCO
I don't do a lot of night time driving in my JK so I'm not looking to drop $300 into headlights. I was looking on amazon and found a set of LED headlights, but I'm not sure if it will need an canbus relay. Does anyone know if it will need one or am I good to go without it? Here's the item: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01JYC0O...G2T15YZ6&psc=1

Attachment 658817
without the cancler the pwm will make them blink when they are off.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
without the cancler the pwm will make them blink when they are off.
^^^+1

I would also add that way back when, I replaced the stock bulbs with silver stars. It made it a little easier to see, but I think only because the light was white vs. washed out yellow. I think regardless of what bulb you put in that factory housing, the limiting factor of crappy lighting is going to be the housing itself. I can definitely relate to not wanting to spend much on expensive lights, but if you're willing to drop $60 on those, you'd be better off sticking that $60 aside and save it for a real upgrade when possible. I now run JW Speaker gen 2's and am happy.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put in a better bulb and insure the headlights are aimed properly. Most folks that have headlight issues have headlights that aren't aimed
Properly. A DOT/SAE certified headlight replacement will be better but they are not cheap. You get what you pay for in this case.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I found my Truck-Lites lightly used on a forum for $200 shipped. $70 on some new anti-flicker harnesses and bam. I was also skeptical about dropping so much on lights, but WOW these things drown out every other headlight on the road. I don't run any other supplemental lights...Truck-Lites did everything I could've asked for.

I'd hunt around, they really are worth it.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't buy just the bulb, your just wasting your time and money. The stock housings were not designed for leds.
If you want to upgrade to led's, get new housings with the leds.
You can look for a used set or if your on a budget there's a lot of options on Amazon for budget lighting. Just make sure you read the reviews.

2015 Hydro Blue JKU
Old 10-16-2016, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

I got one of the sub $200.00 head lights with halo off Amazon. They work way better then stock, just add in the anti filker harness

Edit, don't just add a led or hid bulb the headlight reflector is not setup for the light pattern and it's blinding to traffic

Last edited by Peddy10181; 10-16-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Yet another headlight question