Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Yet Another DW Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another DW Thread

I know this has been covered a million time, but I am going to ask any ways. I have the DW and I have a list of parts I'm going to buy to try to fix this. First off, I have a '13 2 door with a 4 inch pro comp lift (was already installed) and only 9K miles. After doing a lot of reading and looking under the jeep, I have discovered that all the original owner did was install the lift. He did not fix the steering geometry nor did he install adjustable control arms or drop brackets for the control arms. I have ran through Planmans list and have found a few problems. One of the boots on the tie rod is destroyed, so I am going to replace that. The track bar bends when the wheel is turned (holes, welds all appear to be fine), there is a clunk in the drag link when the wheel is turned. Below is a list of parts I have and plan to purchase, my question is, am I missing anything? Already ordered: Northridge bolt kit AEV LCA drop bracket Synergy track bar Steering stabilizer (I know, not required) Plan to order: Yeti Tie Rod Yeti Top mount drag link flip New SS mount Synergy track bar relocation bracket
Old 11-13-2015, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are on the right track. I did this exact thing with my jeep. Everything has been replaced and it finally rides amazing.

$Thousands later, if I do start to see any changes, the tires need to be balanced and rotated.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about ditching the crap lift and getting a good 2.5" lift? Then you don't need to flip the drag link. I doubt you will ever be happy so long as you have that lift on the Jeep.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
You are on the right track. I did this exact thing with my jeep. Everything has been replaced and it finally rides amazing. $Thousands later, if I do start to see any changes, the tires need to be balanced and rotated.
Thanks for the good news. I'm really hoping this works, I don't want to have to throw thousands more at it unless it is stuff I want to add, not stuff to make it drivable.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
What about ditching the crap lift and getting a good 2.5" lift? Then you don't need to flip the drag link. I doubt you will ever be happy so long as you have that lift on the Jeep.
I considered this option, but I kinda like the look of the 4 inch lift. I mean I will probably never need that much, but it's there if I do. Plus, with the tie rod being bad and the clunking in the drag link, I would have to replace those regardless. Someone gave me some bilstein 5100's, so after all this, the only thing left from that lift will be the springs. They will be gone after I recover from this mess.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jonnyb19
I considered this option, but I kinda like the look of the 4 inch lift. I mean I will probably never need that much, but it's there if I do. Plus, with the tie rod being bad and the clunking in the drag link, I would have to replace those regardless. Someone gave me some bilstein 5100's, so after all this, the only thing left from that lift will be the springs. They will be gone after I recover from this mess.
With that being said, if I ever do decide to go to 2.5 to save my drive shafts, would the drag link flip need to be replaced?
Old 11-13-2015, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check ball joints. That was one of my problems
Old 11-13-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tribulation138
Double check ball joints. That was one of my problems
Def going to do that.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyb19
With that being said, if I ever do decide to go to 2.5 to save my drive shafts, would the drag link flip need to be replaced?
As part of the flip, you add taller bumpstops to keep the new junk from smashing into the frame when a tire is stuffed. If you drop to shorter coils, you may have too much bumpstop. You will need to do some measuring.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
As part of the flip, you add taller bumpstops to keep the new junk from smashing into the frame when a tire is stuffed. If you drop to shorter coils, you may have too much bumpstop. You will need to do some measuring.
thanks, I'll make sure to look into that if I go that route.

Quick Reply: Yet Another DW Thread