Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Yes, another tire question

Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another tire question

07 Sahara 2.5" RC lift - 18's. Now the question is whether to go with 33" duratracs on stock rims or get 16 or 17" wheels (Eagle 197s or MB Gunners) with 33's - terra grapplers or bfg at's. Price is about the same between just tires or the tires and wheels - around $1700. Is there really any difference between the wheels besides aesthetics?

We get quite a lot of ice here in kc, so mt's really aren't in the picture. Occasional off road but mostly pavemement on our wonderful missouri highways, which is about a step above wagon trails.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

If you are driving mainly on the road you should probably be worried more about the fact that most 18" wheel tires are E load range, and therefore will ride a bit rougher than the D load range tires for 16" and 17" wheels.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

I used to have BFG AT's and I really liked them on pavement, sand, dirt, and gravel. They weren't great in the mud (lots of clay in my area) and I ran them for 2 winters. They were pretty good in slush and light snow. After I spun out on black ice going down the highway I switched to some full fledged winter tires. Not sure how mild or extreme your winters are where you are but average -30C with lots of snow, wind, and ice for a few months. That's what I get for moving to northern Canada, though!
No experience, but I've heard good things about the Duratracs.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

duratracs have treated me well!
that's the only tire I plan on running till I go 37's.... than cooper stt's
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BLK-JK23
duratracs have treated me well!
that's the only tire I plan on running till I go 37's.... than cooper stt's
I wanted those same Coopers. Because of price and availability I went with the Hamnkook Dynapro MT's. I think it was the right choice for me. They seem to be exactly what I need. But those STT's sure look sweet!

Quick Reply: Yes, another tire question