Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Yes another question about a TF 2.5"..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here's a question, if i got the 2.5in lift with shocks and coils, and 33in tires with 4.5 in back spaceing, do i need to worry about driveshaft angles?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joisey
So here's a question, if i got the 2.5in lift with shocks and coils, and 33in tires with 4.5 in back spaceing, do i need to worry about driveshaft angles?
Read thru FAQ's:

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joisey
The FAQ say YES and HAOLE and other say NO.. So "maybe" would be the answer i guess..
Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HAOLE
Just a couple of quick facts that apply to 2 and 4 door models

1. TF is a better more complete kit.

2. Wheel spacers are not the devil

3. you will NOT have driveline issues! Only "maybe" would be an automatic front shaft hitting the skid.... nothing a cutwheel can fix in 5 minutes

Do it

1- indeed

2- Entry recorded.

3- take a look at the FAQ.. he said the opposite. FAQ: " You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. "

With 2.5 am I just too close or am I safe ? .. is there a "gray zone" somewhere or 3" is the start of the "gray zone"... ?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 AM
JK Junkie

I won't tell you what to do or not to do but here's what I would do...

The 2.5" TF with coils will give more than 2.5" I own a 2dr and if I was to put this on my rig would I run out and drop $400 on a new driveshaft right away? Nope. Would I keep and eye on it and start saving up for one eventually? Yes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by falconfixer
I won't tell you what to do or not to do but here's what I would do...

The 2.5" TF with coils will give more than 2.5" I own a 2dr and if I was to put this on my rig would I run out and drop $400 on a new driveshaft right away? Nope. Would I keep and eye on it and start saving up for one eventually? Yes
Clear answer. Thanks. I'll go for the 2.5" with shocks and coil spacer. I've got the 3.21 gear and dont plan to regear right now.. I wont use 35" tires for now so 3"+ will be too high anyway. I'll check my driveshaft more often and thats it I guess.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're doing the exact same thing. I am doing my 33" tires first though. I also have 3.21 gears in my rig. And found out that my VIN says "F" on the 4th character but my dealer says my Jeep has the HD shocks?

So... I will probably get the coil spacer with new shocks. Its enough to run 35" tires and I can always add a 1" body lift later.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
found out that my VIN says "F" on the 4th character but my dealer says my Jeep has the HD shocks?
What do you mean by "F" on the VIN ?? What does it mean ?

Quick Reply: Yes another question about a TF 2.5"..