Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Yep, muffler/exhaust again!

Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep, muffler/exhaust again!

Took off stock muffler from 2013 and it is too loud for me at the 2500+ RPM range. I have 4.88 gearing, so it is be very loud on the highway. I am considering all options...flowmaster for $120 installed, cat-back from MBRP and AFE, axel-back from AFE, etc. Anyone have strong feelings with any options? I will likely do a CAI later, but really don't want to spend high $ on my exhaust. I don't want the stock sound and the muffler delete is too loud. Can I put a muffler in place of resonator? Any other inexpensive options, so I can save my $ for the good stuff? I would really like to relocate for off road, so the cheap Flowmaster option leaves me bashing metal. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itsthelaw
Took off stock muffler from 2013 and it is too loud for me at the 2500+ RPM range. I have 4.88 gearing, so it is be very loud on the highway. I am considering all options...flowmaster for $120 installed, cat-back from MBRP and AFE, axel-back from AFE, etc. Anyone have strong feelings with any options? I will likely do a CAI later, but really don't want to spend high $ on my exhaust. I don't want the stock sound and the muffler delete is too loud. Can I put a muffler in place of resonator? Any other inexpensive options, so I can save my $ for the good stuff? I would really like to relocate for off road, so the cheap Flowmaster option leaves me bashing metal. Thanks!
If you are still running the stock resonator, you can run a 2.5" round muffler right after it. A lot of guys will use our 6" round P/N 17263. Run them both and get that relocate too.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Throw in a muffler and have it exit before the rear axle, wish I did it this way but bought mine, would of saved some $. I have the Evo Comp by Dynomax not bad set up. I sometimes think its a bit loud on the highway. Best of luck!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Dynomax - I have a 2dr, so there isn't room for the muffler you noted before the axel. It would have to be located where OEM disconnected. Am I following you correctly?

Kill - I think NC law calls for dump to be after the axel. Great idea though...thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant imagine any muffler not exiting before the back end. I hate fumes. I cant even stand having the recirc button off when the heater is on driving behind another car.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Found an inexpensive muffler at shop for $70, and I am going to throw it on tomorrow. Shoved it onto existing pipe and sounded pretty good and it is smaller in HxWxL than the stock muffler. I get to decide where I want the pipe to end too.

Quick Reply: Yep, muffler/exhaust again!