Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Year round hartop???

Old 03-30-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHog
You need the hardware. The frame, the crossbar and mounts for the rear window, and assorted nuts and bolts.
The crossbar is the bar for the bottom of the rear window, right? And then that fits into the rear window mounts? Then there should be something like channels that bolt down along the edge of he tube and top of the window Frame? Has the mounting hardware changed much from the early 90's? (That was my last Jeep - soft top.)
Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Pretty much the same. Yeah, you'll need door surrounds, tailgate bar and some bolts.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last JK was a dual top, and I immediately sold the hard top. Current JK is hard top only. I've found that as I've gotten older and much less hair, I like the shade. I run all summer with the hard top on and no doors. Keeps me and my daughter in the shade, a little cooler on the days it's in the upper 90's and no worry of sunburn.

That being said, I'm keeping my eye on craigslist for a cheap soft top, just so I have the option...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is had two Jeeps with hard tops and when I ordered this one, I got a soft top only. I couldn't imagine going a year without taking the top off.

I will say the modern two-piece hardtops are lighter and easier to remove than the old ones.

When I had a hard top I was always coming up with ways to avoid putting it back on (cab covers, summer tops, drive wife's car etc.)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

After running a hardtop for the last year I'm in the market for a soft top... I hate wanting to go topless and being unable too because then I'm stuck without the OPTION to put it back on. I say get one each. I would hate a soft top year round(michigan) but it just doesn't feel like a jeep in the summer with just the panels removed.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Bought my Jeep used with the soft top... Finally just purchased a hard top and wish I had it from the start. Never been one for convertibles and just like the look of the hard top way better than that bubble top look. I know you could go with a Trek top which looks flatter but now you lose the storage space and unzipping the back on the soft top is a pain (I have a rack inside to double trunk space and the zippers drove me crazy)

Top reasons for me:

Security - I hated the fact that anyone that could operate a zipper could get inside in seconds
Looks - Just like the look of the hard top better (I like the topless look but never put the top all the way down because you need to unzip the windows)
Noise - Hardtop is much quieter
Freedom top - The only time I put the top down was just one fold back... I can do the same with the freedom top

My two cents.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a YJ with a softtop for 15yrs before getting my JKU with a Hardtop. YJ''s ST would stay down from may-nov (usually don't get any rain in that timeframe here) decided with the JKU that a HT would be better for winter driving (trips to snow, better insulation, quieter) and just hoist the HT off in may and drop it back down whenever I need to. Run a safari top to keep the sun out, might change out to spiderweb shade this year.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I got my JK with just the hardtop and after about 8 months I got a soft top. After having the hard top sit for a while, I wanted to sell it. When I told my father this he told me to wait and that I would regret selling it: he was right. I sold the soft top and now run the hard top all of the time. It's quieter, having the rear glass open up is a big advantage for me since I have a fridge in the rear (and putting in other things like camp gear, groceries, etc is easier) no "blurry" scuffed/scratched windows, better security, better climate control, etc. Also, for my JK the hard top looks better to me with my set-up.

Quick Reply: Year round hartop???