Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Year round hartop???

Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think having both tops is the best of both worlds
Old 03-30-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in New England so a hardtop was a no brainer when I bought my jk. Granted I have a 2dr so removal during the warm months is easy enough with 2 people. I want a soft top though due to rain when the hard top is off. Having both tops is definitely ideal. I hate always checking the weather and having take the top on and off for a few days.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

I have a dual top. Soft top will be on in the next couple of weeks. Hard top in winter, easier to brush the snow and ice off, and the rear window defrost is nice. If I only had one, it'd be a soft top for sure.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the hardtop on a 2 door year round. Sold the soft top. I don't have a backseat in mine so no one sits back there. The panels off and the doors off is good enough for me.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

I bought it new with only a hardtop. I have a soft top TJ and a Scrambler so if I want to go topless it easy. That and the 4 door soft top is a pain I would rather back in the garage hook up my hoist lift it off and be done. I also don't like the looks of the 4door with the soft top.

Last edited by ampdrubi; 03-30-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way. The trektop went on two weeks ago. Hoping to pull the windows this week for a day or two. About another month and the doors will be gone running in safari mode until late September early October. Hard top goes back on early November.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

I bought my first JK in December and living in Minnesota I would not have wanted to have a soft top with the winter we just had. It was below zero 17 days in row here so the hard top is a must. I have plans on purchasing a soft top this spring but I have not made up my mind to what style.
I had a 79 CJ-5 about 10 years ago and that was my daily driver for 3 years and I went 1 winter with the soft top and went and found me a junk CJ-5 with a fiberglass top and was the best money spent on that Jeep.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

I bought a softtop for my JKU off craigslist from a guy. Ended up selling my hardtop. I live in CT and didn't find it to be that bad in the winter. I like to be able to put the top down when it's nice and still be able to put it back up if it rains. With the hardtop I constantly had to worry about the weather when going out for the day. Now I don't even think about it.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you go from a hard top to buying a soft top, what comes with it other than the canvas top? I mean, what would I have to make sure is included?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bfschor
If you go from a hard top to buying a soft top, what comes with it other than the canvas top? I mean, what would I have to make sure is included?
You need the hardware. The frame, the crossbar and mounts for the rear window, and assorted nuts and bolts.

Quick Reply: Year round hartop???