Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Year round hartop???

Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Year round hartop???

Guys, I see more and more soft tops in the classifieds, brand new, still in the box. Who here chose to run the hardtop year round, and what is your justification on that choice.??? Reason for asking is that summer is coming, and I'm debating the use of the soft top or not....

Last edited by Da10A; 03-30-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see the point in buying a convertible and running a top year round. Running open is one if the best parts of a Jeep.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

I run a hardtop 365.

The main reason I run it year round is for security. I keep a good amount of tools in my JK because I'm a Service Tech and keep my tools with me.

I'm tall enough and strong enough to take it off and put it on by myself, so I don't really have a problem with it.

Only time I'm topless is when I get the urge and when I make a beach trip or a vacay somewhere.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Pretty much 365. Reasons? Security and the added bonus of living in a country where it rains 360 days a year.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

After one summer of running a hard top, I bought a soft top. I had just a soft top on a yj around 10 years ago and loved being able to go topless on a whim.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the hardtop thru late fall and winter. As soon as the forecast has 7 days of 70 and above for highs. Off it goes and on goes the soft top.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the majority of people selling their soft top are people that were looking to buy a hardtop Jk and it just so happens they found one with dual top group that fit their needs. They purchase that JK and then sell the soft top.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

My reasoning dehind debating the soft top, is that before my jk, I owned 2 yjs and a Tj. I know all about the top down, doors off and have gotten dozens of cold from running all off too early in the spring or late in the automn. In other words, I can safely say... Been there, done that.!

I have a good size dog and the hability to easily flip up the back window to let her jump-in, or for groceries, plays in the hard tops favor. Add to that the removeable panels, and the fact that when its hot, its hot, and in my late 40s, shade and A/C feel darn good..... But still not convinced:-D
The following users liked this post:
LoneStarLegend (10-10-2021)
Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

I much prefer my soft top to the hardtop. I only run the hard top in the winter months and as soon as it is warmish again the soft top goes back on. Only thing about the hard top I prefer is the lift glass. However my 85lb lab/shepard can still jump in the back under the tailgate bar.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3rd Jeep in 14 years. Last 2 had dual tops. Hardly ever used the hard tops. This time I went for the soft top only.
To me, a Jeep is made to run topless.
I too have a large dog, Black Lab, she just jumps up into the back even with the soft top window in place. When the top is down, I have cargo netting in place and a spider shade for her in the rear.

Quick Reply: Year round hartop???