Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A year with a MoTech 6.0L L96 and 6L80E

Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default A year with a MoTech 6.0L L96 and 6L80E

Wasn't exactly sure where to post a review such as this... decided modified is the best fit baring a review forum.

So, as the title says, I now have just over one year under my belt with a MoTech-installed 6.0 L96 and 6L80E transmission in my 2011 JKUR. I'll say right up front this is the best choice I made for my jeep. My intention is to keep this jeep until I can't drive anymore, hence my decision to invest so much into the drivetrain.

I'll break this review into two categories: Drivability of the system and MoTech customer support/quality

Drivability:
- Overall - this makes the jeep a joy to drive. It doesn't struggle trying to get out of it's own way, it tows without effort, it's superb when rock crawling.

- Engine - The 6.0L L96 with VVT has been great. I average 14mpg which is exactly what I was getting with the 3.8L and a RIPP SC except that I have no lack of power, no surging of power.

- Transmission - This is really the un-sung hero of these conversions. The 4-speed trans that was in my 2011 was constantly searching for a gear to be in. The 6-speed 6L80E is smooth and it's wide range of gearing (1st is low and 6th is high) gives me great low-end grunt when rock crawling and low rpms when on the interstate.

MoTech Customer Service / Quality

- Quality - when I picked up my jeep from them last year, I immediately saw the professional/factory-look installation. When I got home and began to pull routine maintenance on my vehicle, that's when I came to appreciate the install. Everything is just where it should be. It all looks like it was factory installed.

- Customer Service - Over the year, I've had a three issues with my jeep. Two of these issues had nothing to do with the installation/conversion yet Robbie provided support and advice on these two issues ( both related to the electrical system for the cooling fan). The other issue was install related, a problem developed where it would throw a code related to the accelerator pedal position. He gave me the correct advice on this issue immediately. I didn't pay close enough attention to that advice and worked on this for several weeks. Had I paid more attention to what he said, I could have resolved the issue within a few days. (this was a simple loose connection in a plug... geesh)

- Additional note - Certainly the V8 conversion has a lot to do with my satisfaction, but I think a very large amount of my satisfaction and faith in this conversion is because of MoTech and their superb installation and customer support.

Bottom line - Certainly this type of conversion is a large amount of money to throw at what can arguably be called a toy. If you are choosing to keep your jeep for your lifetime, then I submit that this is the best modification you can make to your jeep. Every time I start my jeep, pull away at a stoplight, rock crawl it, pull a long hill on the interstate I smile.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the total cost for the conversion if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JE8154
What was the total cost for the conversion if you don't mind me asking?
Mine was right at $20K... but this will vary quite a bit with each install based on the options you want so I wouldn't put much stock in what I paid as it'll be different for each person.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice choice of engine and trans, i hope i'll be able to do this in the future
Do they sell the all the electrical harnesses as a kit to mate the GM engine/trans the GM PCM/TCM, are you still on factory differentials or did you have to upgrade those ?

Btw,you can bump the power in your combo anywhere from 10rwp to 100rwhp without going with force induction, the L92 heads flow crazy air in factory trim, with nothing both bolt-ons, like CAI, CAI+ full exhaust, or addind an aftermarket cam to on top, CAI + full exhaust + camshaft, and then porting the factory intake, CAI+full exhaust+ camshaft + ported intake. My G8GT went from 297rwhp (364 fwhp) to 411rwhp(501fwhp) with just a CAI, Long tubes with custom 2.5" cataback, 222/228 112+2 cam, and stock intake, and still drove like a stocker
Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler
Nice choice of engine and trans, i hope i'll be able to do this in the future
Do they sell the all the electrical harnesses as a kit to mate the GM engine/trans the GM PCM/TCM, are you still on factory differentials or did you have to upgrade those ?

Btw,you can bump the power in your combo anywhere from 10rwp to 100rwhp without going with force induction, the L92 heads flow crazy air in factory trim, with nothing both bolt-ons, like CAI, CAI+ full exhaust, or addind an aftermarket cam to on top, CAI + full exhaust + camshaft, and then porting the factory intake, CAI+full exhaust+ camshaft + ported intake. My G8GT went from 297rwhp (364 fwhp) to 411rwhp(501fwhp) with just a CAI, Long tubes with custom 2.5" cataback, 222/228 112+2 cam, and stock intake, and still drove like a stocker
As for MoTech kits, you're best to ask them directly. Part of what I liked about this conversion is I didn't have to think about it much. I dropped the JKUR off, waited a few weeks, came back and drove off. ( I'm a gear head of sorts, I have a 72 Cuda that I installed a 6.4 hemi mated to a 4L60E trans in, but I didn't want to tackle the task of getting the CANBUS to talk to the GM system, Robbie and his crew are experts at that.)

I'm still running stock axles (rubicon) but will move to Ford 1-tons over the next year as I can work on them. This is another reason I like the GM combo, Robbie dialed in a good amount of torque management so that I don't break these axles when I decide to put my foot into it. When I move to 1-tons, then I can have that torque management dialed back.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedg
Mine was right at $20K... but this will vary quite a bit with each install based on the options you want so I wouldn't put much stock in what I paid as it'll be different for each person.
that seems like a really reasonable price.

I hope to be a MoTech cusomter one day....
Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tcdawg
that seems like a really reasonable price.

I hope to be a MoTech cusomter one day....
Some may not think so. I'm convinced that it is and I'm exceptionally pleased with what I have.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's so cool... I need to venture over the mountains and check that out. I would love to make that conversion!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wakinvol
That's so cool... I need to venture over the mountains and check that out. I would love to make that conversion!
I encourage you to do so. Robbie and his crew are a great bunch and just taking a look at the jeeps he's go there and talking to him is a learning experience.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What made you go the LS route over a hemi? Just curious..

Quick Reply: A year with a MoTech 6.0L L96 and 6L80E