Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A year and a half of opinions & research: Critique my Build

Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 JKU Rubicon - AUTO
Daily driver: Wheels about 6 times a year, with camping and fire road exploration a few times a year as well.

Wheels: 16x8 - 4.5 BS (not 100% on brand yet)
Tires: 315/75-16 (~34.6")

Kit:
RK 2.5" Flex system (with front arms, and trackbar)
FOX 2.0 (1-3"lift) shocks
Teraflex bump stops

My biggest concern is whether I will regret not getting rear adjustable control arms (control arms are expensive!). I don't want the tires pushed forward close to rock rails, or rubbing. For every person that says I dont need it, another says I do, so i'm stuck on this a little. I want everything to look good, but functionality is my primary concern.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mabaty; 05-13-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 AM
JK Freak

Install and then evaluate.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Super Freak

To properly dial in your lift you will want rear upper and fro t lower arms. They are a ton of options out there so price shouldnt be a big factor. Also consider front and rear adjustable trac bars to recenter your axles should you need to. Do t forget about your brake lines if you flex a lot. You drive a jeep...just empty every pocket.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

Do the front LCAs, Rear UCAs , trackbars front and rear ,axle reinforcement brakets for the trackbars, and brake line drop bracket. It would also be a good time to upgrade to the Grade8 bolts for this stuff because getting these torqued to 125 ftlbs can be tiring.

It is pricy to do all this stuff at once but all these things serve a function for optimizing your lifted jeep's suspension.

At a minimum do the trackbars and rienf brackets, the other stuff can wait depending on the wheeling you do.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by maximredriver
Do the front LCAs, Rear UCAs , trackbars front and rear ,axle reinforcement brakets for the trackbars, and brake line drop bracket. It would also be a good time to upgrade to the Grade8 bolts for this stuff because getting these torqued to 125 ftlbs can be tiring.

It is pricy to do all this stuff at once but all these things serve a function for optimizing your lifted jeep's suspension.

At a minimum do the trackbars and rienf brackets, the other stuff can wait depending on the wheeling you do.
Don't forget about the coil wedges and retainers, c-gussets and axle sleeves, ACOS, discos, and a wider rear view mirror so you can drive past and look at all of the misguided opinions on this forum.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup a truss or a sleeve and some gussets should be on that list asap. Even if you don't wheel it much, i would C gusset at a minimum. I got myself a PureJeep truss and gusset for $130 shipped
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also, I believe that with a 16" rim, your choices of tires are less than if you went with a 17" rim.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input everyone, why are the C gussets so important? Doesn't seem like many people are doing that?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mabaty
Thanks for the input everyone, why are the C gussets so important? Doesn't seem like many people are doing that?

The inner C's are somewhat weak and are prone to bending...even with stock tires. The "mod" is much more popular than you think. It's just that people tend to do them with other axle reinforments at the same time and then everyone argues about which is better, inner sleeves, outer sleeves or trusses....so the gussets usually get lost in the conversation.

The cost of the gussets is pretty cheap depending on brand you get and maybe an hour or so of welding. Cheap insurance to protect your axle.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mabaty
You're right. I was joking about putting all the crap on. Some-several folks think that every aftermarket piece needs to be on their wrangler to adequately drive. Follow your gut and make it YOUR build.

Quick Reply: A year and a half of opinions & research: Critique my Build