Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

YAY I fixed my Death Wobble!, thank you planman!!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
"Thank god and thank planman." By deduction, that makes planman a jk god.
Thanks. If I could just convince my wife that I'm one of those herculean (little "g") godlike Greek characters in the movies, I'd have it made :-)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
The steering stabilizer interferes with finding the root cause.

It's like a GYN doing a breast cancer screening on a woman wearing a ski parka.

Say the problems are loose front trackbar bolts that have ovaled out the front trackbar bracket bolt holes, damaged the trackbar bushings, and damaged the drag link end on the knuckle side. The steering stabilizer only buffers movement in the tie rod. It does nothing to prevent further damage to the trackbar bracket.

There are plenty of pics out there of JK owners who did what you asked about and ended up ripping the entire frameside trackbar bracket completely off the frame at freeway speeds. They are luckily they didn't cause an accident or roll their vehicle.

It doesn't take weeks to figure out the root causes of DW. In most cases, it takes less than an hour. In complicated cases, it could take about 2 hours.

A vehicle with DW should absolutely not be driven until it is fixed.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot of things that can cause a DW if you bent your tie rod and messed up your toe can cause it for example. Balljoints is another. Another problem I see is budget boost lifts in general. No adjustability and camber being out of whack, which cause stress on parts and make them go bad like drive shafts and balljoints.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
The steering stabilizer isn't the cause.

It fails when it can no longer mask the cause.

If all a person does is install a new steering stabilizer and not actually fix the cause(s), then the new steering stabilizer will fail prematurely as well. In the meantime, the cause(s) will get worse.
I've actually seen dealships respond to DW issues with a new steering stablizer! If everything is working out well (cause of DW corrected) you should be able to drive without the SS. We did that for about 3 months hitting all the same terrain to ensure we had fixed the problem once and for all. Your advice is spot on!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving mine with a broken steering stabilizer since November

Quick Reply: YAY I fixed my Death Wobble!, thank you planman!!