Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Y get a waterproof winch?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y get a waterproof winch?

I am on the market for a winch plan on getting the smittybilt with 8,000lbs pull but they also have the waterproof one. I will not be offroading like that will the other winch be fine on my bumper without cover. Rain does not hurt the winch does it? I dont think i need the waterproof one.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

First let me say that I am by no means a Hard Core wheeler, and have not gotten myself into a situation where I needed to use my winch (yet).

Like you, I debated between purchasing the X20 $399 or the XRC8 comp $449 (with the synthetic rope).

The synthetic rope (and free winch cover at the time) had me seriously leaning towards the XRC.

But I chose the X20 because it supposedly is constructed utilizing heavier duty parts.

I figure I can always upgrade to the synthetic line in the future and now a winch cover isn't even necessary.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would get the water-proof just for the peace of mind.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water proof winches are built for short term submersion I guess. My XRC 8 is left out in the rain all the time without a hitch, and has also been completely submerged several times.

Just think waterproof watch vs water resistant watch.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The mfg's have a good idea of where winches are mounted and the typical uses people have for them, so they will all be sealed to some extent. As long as you don't plan and extended submersions, you'll be fine with a non-waterproof winch.

My warn 9.5 has been hanging off the front of my 4x4's for 11 years of 'normal' use (from Texas summers to Colorado winters, rain, snow, sleet, freezing temps, water crossings, all that fun stuff) and is still running strong.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepsta
I am on the market for a winch plan on getting the smittybilt with 8,000lbs pull but they also have the waterproof one. I will not be offroading like that will the other winch be fine on my bumper without cover. Rain does not hurt the winch does it? I dont think i need the waterproof one.
No rain won't hurt the winch. If you don't plan on doing deep water crossings the regular winch will be fine. Also you can also get a cover for it to protect against the elements. Cheap insurance
Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

I'm also in the same boat. I never really considered a waterproof winch, but now I am second guessing. I don't ever plan on getting that deep, but if it happens once or twice (not regularly) should I be okay? I guess what I am trying to say is that I wouldn't want my winch to limit my wheeling if I had to do short water crossing occasionally.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Sorta on topic....but what about winter? With Canadian winters, all the slush and road grime plus snow all over it. How do they hold up? Do you have to put a cover over them?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

i would worry more about the brand of shitybuilt then what model. if you need to market a winch as waterproof then there are some questions about there other models i would ask about to them. i have had 5 different winches over the last 20 years and none of them were ever considered waterproof. if you buy a decent name brand nine times out of 10 you get a good winch and no need to worry about the water.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

I have the Warn 9.5ti which is meant to be "waterproof" but it definitely is not. I've rebuilt it so I'm familiar with all the seams and gaskets which were not really waterproof. Not to mention that water was sitting inside the winch and the corrosion it created was the reason I had to rebuild it in the first place.

Quick Reply: Y get a waterproof winch?