Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

XRC Back bumper

Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason A W
I ordered Smittybilt XRC Front and back bumpers from Quadratec.
The front bumper went on in 30 mins but the back bumper was a nightmare.I had to use my Hi-Lift jack and mini sledge hammer to get the lower mounting bracket around the rear frame cross member. After all that i noticed the bumper is hitting the body on both ends and it rattles bad on the road.

Just looking for some advise from anyone who has experienced this problem with XRC bumpers.

I had a hard time with mine, took it off and drilled out the 1/2" holes like it suggests in the install guide and worked fine.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ffjc813
just installed my bumper last night went on in 20 mins... the HELL portion of this was the tire carrier.. i cant seem to get it aligned so it doesnt rub on the bracket where it swings.. any help would be great! and they sent me to small of bots to hold the handle portion on so it rattles like HELL.. so come MONDAY there will be a phone call going out.. other than that i love it
The 2 clamp bolts when around the pivot tightened or loosened will raise and lower to adjust up to 1/4 inch. I'll take pics tomorrow, I removed the rear brake light and put in 2 LED lug nut lights (way better) and I also drilled out mounting points for my hi-lift so it would fit without problems.... actually you know what I think I have a pic somewhere online. Think they are called Delta waterproof lug lights.

I can get a better one later, you can see the lights inside the tire... extremely bright LED even though very small. I keep the stand from my hi-lift in the jeep since I try and reduce anything that can rattle.

The one thing you have to be careful of, as it is sits right now I cant put my hard top on. I have to flip the jack over and have the mechanical portion facing away from the jeep for that to fit, I just like it mounted this way when I have my fast-back on. So when mounting inside the carrier you have to make sure and measure before you drill your holes, or just have someone hold it there with you to test.

The holes are 1/2" and so are the bolts, don't remember the length of the bolts maybe 4". Also make sure you drill your holes from the 'inside' out or you end up like me and the hi-lift wont look perfectly level lol.

Ohh and I like greys and blacks, so this is a smittybuilt lift with a hi-lift neo cover.

Last edited by Dan415; 02-26-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jason A W
Well Smittybilt does sell the 2nd cheapest back bumper with a swing arm tire carrier (Rancho has the cheapest and looks it too) I guess you get what you pay for.
Its not all bad i really like it actually, so i try your suggestions im sure ill work it out. Besides i started putting it on in my driveway 2 hours before we got that massive snow storm so i was in a bit of a rush.
Now if i can just figure out how to mount my 48" Hi-Lift on it without welding a mounting bracket to it ill be set
I got my Hi lift on the back of my Jeep. I used the Rugged Ridge jack bracket and some grade 8 bolts and don't forget to Locktite the bolts.

Last edited by 4whelin; 02-27-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I`m considering this bumper,wondering if it`s reciever is higher that the factory receiver.My factory hitch takes alot of punishment.hoping the one on this bumper is alittle higher.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Floor jack, by myself, abit of cursing and it went on, I have a 1in body lift so it's nowhere close to the body. Apparently I got the wrong handle, no where close to lining up to latch. I redesigned the latch mount with a die grinder, fits tight as a mofo.
can we get a picture of your new latch redesign...i have found that to be the only major fault with mine, rattles and will eventually wallow out the clasp, so im lookin into cutting it off and mounting something else.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Latch

Originally Posted by couchpotato
can we get a picture of your new latch redesign...i have found that to be the only major fault with mine, rattles and will eventually wallow out the clasp, so im lookin into cutting it off and mounting something else.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...um-Roll-Please!!!)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to hijack the thread, but dont want to be blasted for starting a single thread for a simple question. Do you have to remove the old two package off the rear before you can put the XRC on? If so I want to pull it now, already pulled the bumper.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Yes, you have to remove the factory hitch.

Quick Reply: XRC Back bumper