Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

XRC Back bumper

Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tweba08
I installed the bumper myself....all you need is a floor jack
I didn't even use that...maybe not the brightest approach, but it worked, and once I got a couple of bolts in I felt MUCH better about being underneath it!

Just held it in place (bench press) and installed the bolts.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually had a very similar install. Mine was very tight to get on, but also had a bad rattle. Turned out my biggest problem was with the gap between the bumper and the body. When my vehicle flexed when driving it would occasionally make contact with the body and was causing a huge thud. I actually put two washers underneath each or the rear body mounts to basically give the jeep a body lift or about 1/4"-1/2" in the rear only. This completely solved my problem and I now have no rattles, good clearance, and a solid bumper. Hope that helps!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had to use the fork lift at work to get the bumper over the frame rail!!!
and mine did contact the body on the passenger side which was very annoying....
But a 1" body lift took care of that real fast!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

my handel rattles i hate it anyone know a fix for this

Last edited by deekum1627; 02-24-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason A W
Not quite sure whats rattling, i checked the swing arm lock everything is tight there im guessing its from the bumper touching the body??
BINGO. Had the same issue. You're hearing the bumper hitting the body. There are 2 easy fixes for this. Put a 1" body lift on or remove the bumper and hone out the rear holes with a 1/2" bit like the directions told you too. I didn't because the bolts fit but if I had the bolt on the passenger side would have dropped that side of the bumper the few millimeters needed to clear the body. Not a single rattle after that.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deekum1627
my handel rattles i hate it anyone know a fix for this
Yes... If you will take the handle off and disassemble the latch, you can add a nylon washer to the mix. Just put it where it seems to need it. That fixed mine and made it latch a little tighter.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi

My neighbor has this bumper and wants to sell it to me for 400.00 bucks. It's a couple of months old and there are signs of wear on the latch pins other than that it's in perfect condition. Even if I have to rebuild the latch I still think it's a good deal. I'll probably get the XRC front bumper new soon.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Mine was kinda of a bear to put on, but once on it is tight as can be, no rattles and definately not hitting body. It doesn't move at all.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love the bumper but have the "thud" when driving over bumps in the road. I determined like others that it was the passenger side bumper/body contacting each other. I will probably do the washer/body mount method as I think I only need about 1/4"...the passenger side is just tigher due to me probably not rounding out the (4) holes quite enough. The driver side has about an 1/8" more of a gap between the body/bumper....but don't let this detour you from pulling the trigger on this bumper/tire carrier...its good stuff...
Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
Now if i can just figure out how to mount my 48" Hi-Lift on it without welding a mounting bracket to it ill be set

Just buy a couple bolts and nuts....

[/QUOTE]

Is that a Harbor Freight jack?

Mine broke on the trail after the second use. Throw it away man! for the love of God...Throw it away!!!

Quick Reply: XRC Back bumper