Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

XRC Back bumper

Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XRC Back bumper

I ordered Smittybilt XRC Front and back bumpers from Quadratec.
The front bumper went on in 30 mins but the back bumper was a nightmare.I had to use my Hi-Lift jack and mini sledge hammer to get the lower mounting bracket around the rear frame cross member. After all that i noticed the bumper is hitting the body on both ends and it rattles bad on the road.

Just looking for some advise from anyone who has experienced this problem with XRC bumpers.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry to hear that man.....Mine was a bit of a battle getting it on....same thing, had to actually strap down the Jk and use a hydraulic press to get the bumper on. Mine is really close to the body, but it doesn't touch, you should be able to level it out and still have space....some small body spacers would correct this.

My bumper is tight, and there are no rattles whatsoever.....I love mine, and would do it all over in a heartbeat. One of the best looking and tough bumpers out there for a decent price too.

What appears to be rattling? the tire carrier? the 3rd brake light bracket? I dont even have my 3rd brake light mounted yet....
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Not quite sure whats rattling, i checked the swing arm lock everything is tight there im guessing its from the bumper touching the body??
Old 02-11-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jason A W
I ordered Smittybilt XRC Front and back bumpers from Quadratec.
The front bumper went on in 30 mins but the back bumper was a nightmare.I had to use my Hi-Lift jack and mini sledge hammer to get the lower mounting bracket around the rear frame cross member. After all that i noticed the bumper is hitting the body on both ends and it rattles bad on the road.

Just looking for some advise from anyone who has experienced this problem with XRC bumpers.
I had to wrestle mine on also, I used a floor jack and a helper, it took us about an hour, no rubbing, rattles or latch issues though
Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Floor jack, by myself, abit of cursing and it went on, I have a 1in body lift so it's nowhere close to the body. Apparently I got the wrong handle, no where close to lining up to latch. I redesigned the latch mount with a die grinder, fits tight as a mofo.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

mine was a pain in the a$$ to but i got it on and the handle rattles to i hate rattles but ill get rid of the rattle when it warms up. it also was tight to the body on mine to i put a spacer in the body mounts and all is good now. besides that i love the bumper tho haha
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

wow, seems like everyone has a hard time with the XRC bumper. I have the SRC front and there was some difficulty with that as well. I have come to notice that pretty much any bumper that Smittybilt puts out people have some problems with it. Its kind of a piss off.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Well Smittybilt does sell the 2nd cheapest back bumper with a swing arm tire carrier (Rancho has the cheapest and looks it too) I guess you get what you pay for.
Its not all bad i really like it actually, so i try your suggestions im sure ill work it out. Besides i started putting it on in my driveway 2 hours before we got that massive snow storm so i was in a bit of a rush.
Now if i can just figure out how to mount my 48" Hi-Lift on it without welding a mounting bracket to it ill be set
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Now if i can just figure out how to mount my 48" Hi-Lift on it without welding a mounting bracket to it ill be set [/QUOTE]

Just buy a couple bolts and nuts....

Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Wow i tried that but i couldnt get the spare back on the jack pushed the tire forward and the spare mounting studs didnt reach.

How did get around that problem?

Quick Reply: XRC Back bumper