Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

XHD Bumper Winch Mounting Question

Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XHD Bumper Winch Mounting Question

I'll be installing the Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Winch-Mount front bumper in the morning.

My question, for those that have this bumper, is:
Can I install the winch AFTER mounting the bumper? Is there room to get a wrench under there after it's on? I would hope so.

The instruction sequence basically tells you to install the winch BEFORE you mount the bumper. That's what worried me. Each of them are heavy enough without having to lift both at the same time (even with two people installing), so I'd rather mount the bumper and THEN install the winch.

Just want to be sure it's do-able so I don't end up having to pull the bumper back off.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat, but worst case, take it off on a floor jack and line it up that way.

It lined up nicely for me with plain ol jack stands.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's tight... but I was able to do it. I drove around without a winch for several months. Word to the wise... put the fairlead on first, then the winch. If the fairlead bolts are too long, you'll have to reverse them so the length points forward. Once I discovered that, the winch was already in place and I had to take it out, reverse the bolts and put it back in... not fun...

Last edited by xerofall; 12-19-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, you can add it after. There is just enough room to get your hand in the tighten the bolts. May be an effort to line up the holes though, as you can't see anything up in there.

But it is much easier to mount the winch first - even by yourself.
Once you lift it up, it hangs on the frame rails so no need to actually hold it in place. Tug it to the side enough to line up the holes and you're good.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, I did it too that way. You may need to take it in and out a couple of times until you get the bolts to line up, but mine is on there! Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I think I have to wait for the Easter bunny for my winch, but looking forward to it.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

I took mine off to put the winch on, it made the install much easier. Also get another set of hands if you can.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a little while but if memory serves, it worked out a little better for me to install the bumper first and then the winch. I used the Superwinch EPi 9.0 and had to do a little trimming on the frame horn for the winch to clear. If I installed the winch on the bumper before installing the bumper, I would have run into some problems.

Here's the thread I did on my install:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/installed-rugged-ridge-xhd-superwinch-epi-9-0-a-81259/
Old 12-19-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Ugh, the clutch lever on the winch was broken during shipment, so I'm not even going to install it yet.

I installed the bumper first, and it looks like there's definitely enough room to get a wrench in there even with the swaybar motor.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: XHD Bumper Winch Mounting Question