Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

XHD bumper broken right out of the box? Are these foglight pins bad?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XHD bumper broken right out of the box? Are these foglight pins bad?

I got my XHD bumper in today (+1 for Northridge4x4 fast shipping btw!) and noticed that the lower outside foglight mounting pin in bent on each side. I'm afraid to try bending it back out of fear of breaking it. Has anyone else had this issue and should I ask Rugged Ridge to pay return shipping and send me a new one?

Aside from the pin issue, this bumper is MUCH beefier looking then I thought it would be. I have the storage endcaps and the stinger ready to be mounted as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Well I bent the pins back ok, but now I find that one of the end caps either has studs welded WAY out of alignment or the mounting holes on the bumper are out of place... Either way, one end cap wont go on and I want really hammer it into alignment.

Back it goes.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

A couple of the pins for me were also bent which put them out of allignment for the fog lights. I just took a wrench and tapped them in the direction I needed until I got the fog light on.

As to your holes not alligning properly I'm not really sure. Mine went in perfectly.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

I had this issue as well. It is very common. Just bend it back.

What I am going to do if I ever switch the foglights is just drill out the studs and tap the hole for a screw. Why they did not make it this way to begin with is ridiculous.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

that crazy i have been bitting the hell out my bumper and never had any problems call RR
Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same thing, but just bent them back. RUGGED RIDGE doesn't believe in Quality Control.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got mine in yesterday (from northridge as well), I havent checked the pins but Ill check tonight...that box was heavy!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

The pins are no longer an issue. I took an adjustable wrench and gently bent the pins back. Now it's just the stud on one end cap being welded on at an angle... I'm going to see if it's off enough to just file down a bit or expand the hole. If I don't feel like I can adjust it enough I'll PM the rugged ridge rep and see what can be done.

Aside from the defects, I really like this bumper! I'm just frustrated because I want to put it on now

Edit: Nope, there's no way I could file it enough to fit. It's a good 1/8'' off from where it needs to be.

Last edited by Dronac; 03-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The little pins are a PITA. Mine were bent too, and one broke off during install. I really like the bumper though and after a year it still looks good and has taken a few good tree hits.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Ive had problems with 2 RR modular bumpers and finally on the 3rd one they got it right. The first 2 had a bend above the fairlead mount tab. All of them had the bent fog light studs but they bent right back. I dont understand why they dont put something better in there like bigger bolts? I wouldnt mind drilling out the foglights to fit them either.

Quick Reply: XHD bumper broken right out of the box? Are these foglight pins bad?