Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

xenon flare install question

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xenon flare install question

Just got my xenon flares in the mail yesterday and am planning on installing them in about two weeks due to previous commitments. Question is this....Do I need to save the factory plastic rivets that hold the wheel well liner to the stock fender or any of the stock hardware for the matter? I dont want to waste the money on the tool to save those if i dont have to because any penny saved is good stuff. And has anybody just ditched the liner in the rear all together? I am planning on running the front only to help hide the engine bay and keep it clean. Thanks to anything and everything contributed to my build.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Well im gonna take a shot at putting these on right now. According to the directions, that I read 10 times , the only OEM parts that you need to keep are six of the fenders bolts (3 for each side), the liners trimmed, and that large black plastic nut. You do need to break off the rivets that are holding on the liner to the fender in order to trim the liner. You dont need the core support, the fender clips, the OEM side marker, the fender, and 4 of the fender bolts.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure you get the nutserts in nice and tight otherwise you pretty much have to drill em out to put a new one in if you got spares. I had xenon ship me 4 extras. I also broke the pos nutsert tool on the very first nutsert so having some spares on hand or similar size bolt from a hw store would be a good idea.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Just put a set of Xenon's on my JK on Sunday, and basically everything that racin444 said is true. Most everything stock you can just throw away, other than a few things that he listed. They've got a pretty good set of hardware with the flares, and just make sure you go slow and steady with the nutserts.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dont tell anyone but I cheated. Went ahead and had Mel and his guys put 'em on for me when I dropped the JK off to have the rock sliders welded on. Saved me a headache just not much change. I very much appreciate the help and advice. Thanks again, and hope to see y'all at TDS
Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time is money. So if the price is right, go for it!

I tossed my rear liners when my tube flares went on. I just sprayed the inside satin black rustoleum. No worries there. The fronts needed to stay on however and required trimming.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Save all the hardware you can, I've gone back and used mine at times (except the plastic hardware that holds the fenders on). I used the factory inner fenders trimmed, and a word of advice: go get a quality nutsert tool from home depot, sears, etc. It saves time and you get the inserts in better. And, if you ever plan on installing body armor or steel corner/fender combo, you will be glad you did, they attach with nutserts also. One other thing: the hard plastic front fender support: before putting it on, chamfer the top rear edge, then the top of the fender doesn't have a sharp "bump" on it, especially on hot days.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-610731070.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	130266  
Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
I tossed my rear liners when my tube flares went on. I just sprayed the inside satin black rustoleum. No worries there. The fronts needed to stay on however and required trimming.
That's exactly what I did too. Just bedlined the rear wheelwells and tossed the liners, but trimmed the fronts and reinstalled them. Really pleased with how it came out.

Quick Reply: xenon flare install question