Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Xenon or Bushwacker

Old 03-08-2011, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like something someone with a SAHARA would say
Old 03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CruserBruiser
neither cause there both plastic, metal is where its at!! either poison spyder customs or river raider.
(I know this part is old, but I think we need to clarify bad advice. That's why I put this quote in.) Actually on a JK you're asking for problems with tube fenders. The body on the JKs are no where near as stout as the older models and a direct impact can cause some serious damage, even with the "reinforcement" some of the MFGs provide with their tube fenders. Its unlikely to happen for most people, but its a possibility.

I'd prefer the plastic fender (cheap) sacrifice itself. I really wanted a set of tube fenders, but after looking at the big picture, it wasn't worth it to me. I'm glad I didn't as well, since I took a hard hit on the trails head-on a few weeks back already. A tree glanced off the corner of my stubby bumper and bent the flare in until the tire hit the tree. Had the flare not bent (i.e. rigid), there would have been damage to the body. I was in 2nd, 4lo at about 1/2 throttle powering up a hill. Stopped me dead and I definitely felt the impact, I swear I heard the tree crack. As it is, the flare poped right back out and other than a very slight scuff there's not sign of it. Did have to push the gasket back in a bit.

I went with the Bushwackers due to looks and research on here and elsewhere from people who had both. They were also cheaper.

Last edited by mdnky; 03-08-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bringing this one back up from the dead- If anyone has painted their Bushwackers to match a Rescue Green, I would love to see pics!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

gen right has some nice alum. fender
Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdnky
(I know this part is old, but I think we need to clarify bad advice. That's why I put this quote in.) Actually on a JK you're asking for problems with tube fenders. The body on the JKs are no where near as stout as the older models and a direct impact can cause some serious damage, even with the "reinforcement" some of the MFGs provide with their tube fenders. Its unlikely to happen for most people, but its a possibility.

I'd prefer the plastic fender (cheap) sacrifice itself. I really wanted a set of tube fenders, but after looking at the big picture, it wasn't worth it to me. I'm glad I didn't as well, since I took a hard hit on the trails head-on a few weeks back already. A tree glanced off the corner of my stubby bumper and bent the flare in until the tire hit the tree. Had the flare not bent (i.e. rigid), there would have been damage to the body. I was in 2nd, 4lo at about 1/2 throttle powering up a hill. Stopped me dead and I definitely felt the impact, I swear I heard the tree crack. As it is, the flare poped right back out and other than a very slight scuff there's not sign of it. Did have to push the gasket back in a bit.

I went with the Bushwackers due to looks and research on here and elsewhere from people who had both. They were also cheaper.
x2 went with Bushwackers, and I love then! Would rather have to replace fenders then have damage to my tub.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL... you guys are sadly mistaken if you thing bushwackers will take the damage
I hit a rock with my flats and it transfered the impact to the tub leaving the flare in perfect shape, wish I had just bought the metal flares I wanted.

Quick Reply: Xenon or Bushwacker