Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

WTF?? SMOKE-melted brake line

Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF?? SMOKE-melted brake line

I have been installing a new bumper tonight on my JK - XRC Stinger. I have had an XRC8 winch living in the old stock bumper and it began to work intermittently. The last attemp it worked fine. Upon removal of the old bumper/winch I inspected the thermials and found the gound therimal on the winch very rusted out and had a hard time removing the cable. I cleaned all the thermials and reinstalled the winch on the new bumper hoping to have fixed the intermittent operation. I am running a BenchMark KISS dual battery set up and the ignition key was "OFF" so the aux. battery was isolated. I did not start the vehicle, I attemped to operate the winch and nothing happen. Then SMOKE out of the rear of the Jeep. I pulled both positive battery cables right away and disconnected the winch cable. Grabbed the fire extinguisher and a flashlight. Both rear steel braided brake line were F*$King smoking and all the rubber lining was GONE! I did not use the extinguisher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoked brake lines 020.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	93875

Name:	Smoked brake lines 021.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	93876

I waited about five minutes and hooked both batteries back up but not the winch. The vehicle starts fine and there are no warning lamp on. The rear brake line are not both leaking. ??????? I guess I shorted the SH!t out of the Jeep and the closest ground was though the steel brake lines?????? BUT WHY?

This is what I get for ditching a wedding with my girlfriend to work on the JK
Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to chase down some grounding issues!!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um, yeah, have seen that happen before. Ground issue, forgot exactly what and where though.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Junkie

First off

Second off... I am glad to hear that your Jeep is seemingly fine after that ordeal. That would have made me need to new pair of jeans

Originally Posted by GeoFishnJK
I guess I shorted the SH!t out of the Jeep and the closest ground was though the steel brake lines?????? BUT WHY?
That would be some crazy short circuit if its easiest path to ground involved your brake lines. But I thought the same thing too when I saw the pictures.

From the looks of things those did not look like Crown brake lines. You can always look on the bright side of things and use it as a good excuse to upgrade your brake lines

Last edited by u-joint; 10-07-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry about your situation.

Your sway bar links look like they are about to rust off...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hummmm

No they were Crown brake lines - got from Dave at Northridge.....

Name:	Crown Lines 001.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	93877

The winch must not be grounded well enough. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a Smitybuilt XRC8???

Throwing the stock lines back on now - hopefully before the old lady gets back from the wedding.......
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
Sorry about your situation.

Your sway bar links look like they are about to rust off...

Just grease and dirt...........
Old 10-07-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, I'll be honest, I HATE the Smitty winches. Shitty power cables, shitty solenoids, motors internally short, POS controller plug that can be plugged in backwards..... I could go on and on.

All it takes is for the motor to internally short and/or a stuck solenoid and you risk burning the Jeep to the ground.

It's for this exact reason I started putting the winch fuse kits and replacement power cables together. It doesn't fix all the liabilities of winches, but it's a big step in the right direction.

Winch Fuses: http://www.benchmarkdesigns.com/inde...roducts_id=101

Premium Replacement Power Cables: http://www.benchmarkdesigns.com/inde...roducts_id=100
Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and I'm REALLY glad you're Jeep didn't burn down. I've seen way too many burnt JKs lately.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I stole this pic from another thread, but it shows what happens when a winch power wire shorts.

Quick Reply: WTF?? SMOKE-melted brake line