Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wtf?

Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wtf?

I'm just finishing installing the 2.5" TF lift kit on the rear end, and i read that you have to tighten the control arm bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the ground... I don't understand how the hell im supposed to tighten the axle end bolts to 125 pounds... I can barely get a wrench in there... there is absolutly no room... an i missing something?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talkink about the Track bar? Control arms don't even need to be messed with.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is right, the instructions say to loosen the lower arms during the instalation. And the control arms and the track bars are all tightened to 125lbs (I would suggest going up to 140ft/lbs). And there is no easy way to do it. Get on your back weasel your way in there and tighten away!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Your track bar is easy to get to. Upper control arms at the frame can be a pain , but axle side?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by smuhhh
I'm just finishing installing the 2.5" TF lift kit on the rear end, and i read that you have to tighten the control arm bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the ground... I don't understand how the hell im supposed to tighten the axle end bolts to 125 pounds... I can barely get a wrench in there... there is absolutly no room... an i missing something?
If you tighten the control arms with it up in the air, you could put a preload on the joint that could eventually cause some damage. I havent dont my rear arms yet, but if there isnt any clearance between the wheel and the bolts.. just set the axle on jackstands and take the wheel off. All of the weight is technically on the ground and the joint will be at its ride height position.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

The teraflex instructions stat to loosen, but not remove the rear control arms... I don't get it really. I'm not thrilled with this teraflex kit, it was missing a bolt, the trackbar bracket is a mile off and requires boring out the holes to make it work,and the instructions are lousy..... I'm just going to take my wheels off and tighten the bolts back up.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
He is right, the instructions say to loosen the lower arms during the instalation. And the control arms and the track bars are all tightened to 125lbs (I would suggest going up to 140ft/lbs). And there is no easy way to do it. Get on your back weasel your way in there and tighten away!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, I didn't look at the instructions and it worked just fine. Took the trk bar loose only.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

I personally don't see the need for loosening the control arms. It's good just to check torque after it's back on the ground, but loosen?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah its stupid... they tell me to loosen the arms, then install the bump stop extensions... which get right in the way of tightening the arms back up.. what a crap set of instructions.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by smuhhh
yeah its stupid... they tell me to loosen the arms, then install the bump stop extensions... which get right in the way of tightening the arms back up.. what a crap set of instructions.
It is often easier to follow one of the write ups located here. http://www.project-jk.com/?cat=12 They often have better pics and explanations of the procedures.

Quick Reply: Wtf?