Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wrenching this weekend....need help with install order please

Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wrenching this weekend....need help with install order please

Well this weekend I will be installing a JKS adjustable track bar, Rusty's LCA for the front and a Bilstein SS. My question before I embark on this journey is this... Which of the three should I install first, second and last? I am thinking this is the process I should use, please give me your advice...

Step 1 - remove stock steering stabilizer
Step 2 - put jeep on jack stands using the frame towards the front
Step 2.5 - remove front wheels
Step 3 - remove adjustable track bar
Step 4 - align body with frame
Step 5 - Install JKS adjustable track bar
Step 6 - Remove DS LCA
Step 7 - Instal DS LCA
Step 8 - Remove PS LCA
Step 9 - Install PS LCA
Step 10 - lower jeep back onto ground
Step 11 - install new Bilstein SS

Anyone see anything wrong with this theory????
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To install the parts u listed u don't need to jack it up at all. U can do it on the ground.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
To install the parts u listed u don't need to jack it up at all. U can do it on the ground.
Really??? Well that will definitely save me some time....thanks!

QUick question though??How would I go about pushing the front axle forward if it is on the ground???
Old 12-09-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will have to adjust the track bar in or out to center your axle with its weight sitting on the suspension, adjusting it with it sitting on jack stands is useless. Do a search on the forum for the length from eye to eye for your new control arms and do one side at a time you will be fine, you may need to use a lift each side indepently to allow you to push the axle forward enough to install the control arms.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi

You should set the track bar to 23" i believe. Look at the Project JK write up on installing one of the lifts and it will tell you. attach to the frame mount, You line up the axle mount holes by turning the steering wheel, just a hint. The steering stabilizer is an easy swap. You should be able to put a floor jack under the pumpkin/drive shaft connection area, CAREFUL HERE. From that position you can rotate the axle by lifting with the floor jack to line up your LCAs. This is how I made adjsutments on mine without removing the wheels or lifting the jeep off the ground
Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

The Terraflex adjustable trackbar install instructions says to center your axle on the body to first remove the existing trackbar, and then bounce the body of the jeep a few times to center it up then install the new trackbar.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

mild thread jack but this is the same thing I am doing this weekend, Im looking over the Project-JK install of the Full Traction Trackbar. I am putting on the Teraflex adjustable trackbar, but I DO NOT have a lift, the project-jk says "you will first need to determine how much your front axle has shifted over due to your lift."

If my Jeep is not lifted, do I need to worry about axle shift?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red08JK
mild thread jack but this is the same thing I am doing this weekend, Im looking over the Project-JK install of the Full Traction Trackbar. I am putting on the Teraflex adjustable trackbar, but I DO NOT have a lift, the project-jk says "you will first need to determine how much your front axle has shifted over due to your lift."

If my Jeep is not lifted, do I need to worry about axle shift?
Well... I know on mine WITH a lift the difference is visably noticeable....just by looking at the gap between the frame and shocks/springs....

I think it would be a good check just to make sure it STAYS centered when you remove your existing track bar.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by NeverStock

Really??? Well that will definitely save me some time....thanks!

QUick question though??How would I go about pushing the front axle forward if it is on the ground???
Very easy to install the lower arms.... Set them to the length in the instructions.place your floor jack under the pinion with just enough pressure to touch it. Remove both front lower arms. Place your new arms in the frame holes with bolts, but don't tighten nuts yet. Then hold one arm up to axle side bracket, and either u or a friend lower your jack until the hole in the bracket lines up with the hole in the control arm . Put the bolt in. Then do the other side. Either raise or lower the jack until that bolt goes in smoothly.

Then,while on level ground, remove the jack and tighten all the nuts. Don't forget to tighten the control arm jam nuts.

The track bar can be easily installed by first measuring from the frame to the tire, and adjusting the distance on both sides by having someone turn the steering wheel slowly. Then hold the bar, while mounted loosely on frame side, up to the axle side and lengthen or shorten it till the bolt slides into the bracket. Re check to make sure it's centered. Tighten bolt. Then u have to adjust the draglink to center the steering wheel.make sure your tires are visibly straight, and adjust the drag link till the steeringwheel is straight. Drive it and adjust till it's centered.

A good idea also since your "rotating" the axle is to loosen the axle side upper control arm bolts and retighten after your done. Prevents bushings from binding up from the movement .

Last edited by rinkishJK; 12-09-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend you do 1 lower arm at a time.

Quick Reply: Wrenching this weekend....need help with install order please