Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wrapping up winch install - Wiring tips?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping up winch install - Wiring tips?

I should be wrapping up my bumper and winch installation tomorrow, and am looking for any wiring tips. Specifically, suggestions on getting the cables from the winch, through the grill, and up to the battery.

Pictures would be nice, too!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be doing mine tomorrow also

Old 01-12-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

I don't have any pics, but I ran my winch wires between the bumper and under the grill on the passenger side of the Jeep. I then followed a factory wire harness up along the passenger side fender, inside the engine compartment, up to the battery. Any excess wire I neatly stored between the battery and the fuse block.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

just go under the grill, and up the side of the radiator, and follow the inside of the fender to the battery, it tucks in nicely.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

The postive cable must be protected. When possible I route the positive in a heater hose.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran mine the same as the others but, I would highly recomend you going with a quick disconnect.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:04 AM
JK Newbie

I routed the same as the others, but I shortened the stock wiring loop that was just behind the bumper when I replaced the front bumper. I took the plastic shielding off from across the front. Took the right and left legs back to the cross member, looped the wiring together inside and tie-wrapped it to the corssmember. That gave me an extra piece of shielding I installed from the battery area toward the front along the fender and then down a few inches. I did this to protect it from any rubbing. I used tie-wraps to keep the shielding where I wanted it. It also got the factory wiring out of the way of my winch.

Quick Reply: Wrapping up winch install - Wiring tips?