Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wrangler JK American Fastback Badlands Edition Recall

Old 04-07-2021, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler JK American Fastback Badlands Edition Recall

Anyone, know anything more about this? I recently purchased one and then found out 4 days letter about this recall. Getting the run around from the dealer. Sounds like they were recalled due to the GVWR. I bought one without the tent but still the same top that the tent goes on. Not sure what to do or what my recourse might be if any?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4865.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	677749  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RCONL-19V190-6618.pdf (176.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-08-2021, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It sounds like the tent company wants to buy back the whole vehicle. I'd be curious if you are actually over GVWR and if not, maybe keep running with it? If it is, maybe see if they'll buy back just the top and compensate you to purchase a regular top.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response. As of right now, American Fastbacks is out of business and I can't get a hold of anyone. The Dealership that sold it to is saying "Tough Sh@#t! You bought is as is'! Love the Jeep, which is good because it looks like I'm pretty much stuck with it. I would think though that it's not uncommon for Jeeps to be over the Gross Weight because they were loaded with after market options.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

If you like it, just keep it, you know the risk. This isn't a whole lot different than most mods a lot of us do which actually decrease the safety of the vehicle. If you are overwhelmingly against driving with that top, a pre-owned factory hard top is ~$1200 - $1400. We're not talking about the entire jeep being unusable.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Yep! Thanks!
Old 04-08-2021, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

X2 with Resharp. Keep it but pray a tree doesn't fall on the roof. I cannot see a difference between your Jeep and a roof top tent equipped one weight wise.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never seen or heard of the American Badlands Edition before. So I did a search.
Your hard top looks different that most that I checked out on line. Your hard top looks taller than the ones I looked at on line. It looks different with the Tent Removed also.
They were very expensive new, with lots of custom options. Probably expensive used also.
It should be a pretty trick rig with all the custom options like the Bumpers, Power Step, Winch, Tires, Wheels, Lift Kit, Shocks, LED Lights, Seat Back Sleeping Pad, and on and on. Probably between $70,000 and $80,000 New. And closer to the $80,000 would be likely.
The color looks like Rock Lobster to me, but I could be wrong. Probably a special order paint color I would guess.
What year model is it? The 2018's were the ones that I saw reviewed.
More pictures and details would be good.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 04-09-2021 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you like it, just keep it, you know the risk. This isn't a whole lot different than most mods a lot of us do which actually decrease the safety of the vehicle. If you are overwhelmingly against driving with that top, a pre-owned factory hard top is ~$1200 - $1400. We're not talking about the entire jeep being unusable.
Other than all the weight we add is from the bumpers down, not top of door up.. Cross winds are sketchy enough with a factory top.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roach
I have never seen or heard of the American Badlands Edition before. So I did a search.
Your hard top looks different that most that I checked out on line. Your hard top looks taller than the ones I looked at on line. It looks different with the Tent Removed also.
They were very expensive new, with lots of custom options. Probably expensive used also.
It should be a pretty trick rig with all the custom options like the Bumpers, Power Step, Winch, Tires, Wheels, Lift Kit, Shocks, LED Lights, Seat Back Sleeping Pad, and on and on. Probably between $70,000 and $80,000 New. And closer to the $80,000 would be likely.
The color looks like Rock Lobster to me, but I could be wrong. Probably a special order paint color I would guess.
What year model is it? The 2018's were the ones that I saw reviewed.
More pictures and details would be good.

Bob R
This is not a Jeep/Chrysler Special Edition vehicle. I would say just a bunch of after market parts. It's a American Fastback Badlands tops jeep build most likely.

Last edited by 2011oscarmike; 04-09-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011oscarmike
Other than all the weight we add is from the bumpers down, not top of door up.. Cross winds are sketchy enough with a factory top.
I got my front and rear frames chopped....i'm pretty sure that doesn't help the safety of my jeep at all, but I don't worry about it. It's not all about weight. Modify a rig and you're seldom making it safer. You know the danger when you do it, and you accept the responsibility for it. That top ain't gonna make that much difference. People drive with much bigger and less aerodynamic RTTs up there all the time.

Quick Reply: Wrangler JK American Fastback Badlands Edition Recall