Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

WOW! Wheel choice is tough! New Guy welcomes your thoughts!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW! Wheel choice is tough! New Guy welcomes your thoughts!

Noobie...money not tight on my budget for wheels. OK, so I have gone back n forth on a new alloy black wheel choices (17x8/8.5/9) for 2 weeks, searches galore here...just when I thought I was set came across hub centric /non hub centric. After umpteen searches, sounds like a hub centric is more secure, but non hub centric will most times not be an issue...

Narrowed down to these but have questions on each one!

AEV Pintler Argent - hub centric, but no one has these in stock, don't want to bad enough to wait 2 months, also not black...

Rugged Ridge 17x9 Satin Black - hub centric but not sure if powder coat finish holds up as good as other finishes (anyone?), butlike flat black

Liquid Metal Gatlin - discount tire has 'em, like the flat black, not hub centric, like flat black

MT Sidebiters - not sure if glossy will look good ('10 Sahara unlim red rock)

ATX Predator with TEFLON - teflon seems intriguing, will this hold up better than other finishes?

ATX Thugs

Pro Comp 7105

Anyone welcome to weigh in on another wheel thread!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Junkie

Hard to weigh in without prospective tire sizes.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
Hard to weigh in without prospective tire sizes.
Sorry forgot that important piece!

Looking into 33's to avoid re-gearing (3.73), will add small lift (TF 2.5" coil maybe) later on. From searching here seems like 33's (like 285/70 17 size), and 17x 8-9 with 4.5 BS should fit...

In Central OH, so moderate trails likely off-road destinations, also want to be able to drive 70-75 mph highway as well.

After wheel choice, then comes rubber choice...
Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

I am running ATX Thugs on 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers and love them. I have had them about 6k miles and have had no proiblems. Teflon finish seems pretty tough so far. One thing I have noticed about the finish is that brake dust does not seem to stick to them as bad a little water and the brake dust comes right off. I think with any finish if you hit them bad enough they are going to scar.

Last edited by Gcollura; 04-29-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
Only piece of advice I feel solidly comfortable giving is stay away from recessed lugnuts. I made that mistake and in two trips to two different tire places I have a total of 4 wheel studs that have been stripped out due to them not wanting to take the time to properly thread the lug nuts.
Wow, two wheels I'm considering (QEV & Rugged Ridge) both have recessed lugs
Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Just curious why folks change wheels unless of course you want to run wider tires or switch to a 15" or 16" rims so tires are cheaper.

I've only been offroad a half dozen times and my Rubi take-offs are battle scarred already. Pretty aftermarket wheels don't stay pretty for long .... unless it's just a Mall Crawler.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 33 BFG AT's on 15 inch black MB72 alloys from Discount Tire. No rubbing. (although I have the RR stubby) I didn't have to grind down the calipers either... it was the perfect choice. The tires were less expensive too.

For all 5 wheel, tires, black lugs and install cost me $1500. Not too bad.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Changing cuz my Sahara came with 18" wheels, I want black wheels, want new rubber (bigger/wider), so am switching to 17's for more choices
Old 05-03-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Running the Liquid Metal Gatlins on mine. The matt black looks really good on a black Jeep.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dmhines
Just curious why folks change wheels unless of course you want to run wider tires or switch to a 15" or 16" rims so tires are cheaper.

I've only been offroad a half dozen times and my Rubi take-offs are battle scarred already. Pretty aftermarket wheels don't stay pretty for long .... unless it's just a Mall Crawler.
Factory backspacing sucks.... aftermarket is much better and allows you to run 33s, 35s, 37s (x12.5-13.5) without wheel spacers.

Quick Reply: WOW! Wheel choice is tough! New Guy welcomes your thoughts!