Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wounded Warrior Project!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wounded Warrior Project!!!!!!!

First of all let me start off by saying that I am a recovering wounded warrior, I was injured last year in Iraq. I saw the badass Warrior Jeep on the back of my 4wd catolog and I thought that was a great way for people to show their appreciation and donate money to the wounded warrior project.

For those of you that dont know what the Wounded Warrior Project is I will tell you. The Wounded Warrior Project provides programs and services to severely injured service members from the time of their injury all the way through the transition to civilian life. It also tries to raise the public's awareness of the many soldiers who have given up so much defending our country. An example of one of the many things the program does is when a soldier is wounded and they get to the hospital we are stripped of all of our clothing. We are laying in the hospital bed buck naked wondering how in the hell are we gonna get some clothes, and then we get shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, and sweatpants to wear that are donated by the Wounded Warrior Project. That may not sound like a big deal, but it is a huge moral booster, and it puts a huge smile on peoples faces that dont really have anything to smile about. That is just one of the many things that the program does.

The only problem with the Wounded Warrior Project is that there are so many severly wounded soldiers from Iraq and Afganistan that the program only has enough money to provide services to soldiers that are paralized or that have lost limbs. Luckily I am not one of those, but myself and many of my buddies are severly dissabled and there is just not enough funds to provide many services for us. I know many people that are missing a leg that get better use out of their prostetic leg than some people do out of their leg that was wounded. But because their leg didnt get amputated they dont qualify for many services that are provided. For example, I myself have a severly wounded back and paralisis in my side that left me unable to do everyday things that are taken for granted like running, going upstairs, putting on shoes, ect... but due to the fact that I am not completly paralized I dont get to see any of the benefits of the programs out there.

So if you really want to help or show your appretiation for a wounded soldier, then invite one to go four-wheeling. Donating money to a program like the Wounded Warrior Project is great, but like I said, only a select few get to benefit from that. I know that there are a lot of 4x4 clubs and a lot of people with a lot money (you dont need a lot of money, but it helps for logistical reasons) on this forum that would love to show their support. So if you are interested, get in contact with the closest Warrior Transition Unit (aka WTU, its where we go to heal) and offer to take some of their guys on your next off-roading trip, show, or jamboree. That would be a lot more rewarding for you and the soldier than just donating money, believe me, a face to face with someone who cares is a million times better than getting a free t-shirt here and there. SCI (Safari Club International) donates hunting and fishing trips to wounded soldiers, and I know first hand that support and caring like that is priceless.

If anyone is interested just let me know and I can get you into contact with the right people to make it happen. Also if you have any other ideas like donating hats or shirts or doing whatever else you can think of, then please post them.

This sounds rediculous but I have to say it... I am in no way, shape, or form trying to get a free trip or free stuff for myself. I am just giving you a more direct way to show your support and help one of my fellow wounded warriors. Thats my disclaimer.

A lot of wounded soldiers dont have much going for them, but something as simple as letting them ride shotgun while offroading could change their life.

Thanks for your time
SGT. Schneider
Old 03-15-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Well said!
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

welcome to the site, and thanks for your service...

Heres a thread we have "stuck" for the project

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/wounded-warrior-jk-19799/
Old 03-15-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

God bless you SGT. Schneider, my family and I salute you. I'd love to come to Anchorage and go wheeling with you, but it would take a while to get there from Texas.

Can you PM me with some contacts? I live in North Texas. Wheeling with a warrior is no sacrifice on my part...but if it would make his/her day, God knows it would make mine.

I have a nephew that served in Iraq and is now stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas. I'll contact him also...perhaps he knows a soldier in need.

God bless, take care,
Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dick,

Thanks for posting the information, both on what programs like Wounded Warriors can and cannot do. It is good to know.

There is another program for wounded vets that I would like to plug. It is called Segs for Vets. They donate Segways to vets in need.

If you do not know what a Segway is, you can see some of them at the Segs for Vets site… http://www.draft.org/draft3/Segs4Vet...5/Default.aspx

While I am not a vet, I know firsthand how much a Segway can help someone with mobility issues, such as a wounded vet. I have had a disability since I was a child have had a Segway for about 4 years now. They can make a huge difference for people that can walk but not for long distances.

The primary reason I am responding to this message is that it sounds like a Segway may be of help to you, as it has been to other vets. I would have sent a PM but I figure that I might reach others by posting publicly. And for those that want to get off the beaten path, they do have an off-road version

I encourage anyone looking for another way to help our returning soldiers to consider Segs for Vets. As well as to follow Dick’s advice and help get our guys back on the trails.

Vets or anyone else in my neck of the wounds are more than welcome to look me up and take spin on my Segway.

Devin

Last edited by driley; 03-15-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Wounded Warrior Project!!!!!!!