Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Would you risk using this?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a picture of the rear shaft. I have not opened the box but you can see the yoke peeking through the hole int he box!!!!!

What do you guys think of JE Reel? They are really close to ORE and the shafts arrive there quickly and safely.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Maybe you could rig up some sort of run-out gauge and try it with your Jeep on jacks. Not sure what the tolerances are on a driveshaft, Tom Woods should know.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The abuse that these are designed to take once they are on the jeep is way more than any UPS guy can dish out.

I would say go for it. You will know something is wrong soon enough
Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that part of the trouble is the way Tom Woods packs their hardware. There should be virtually no motion of the drive shafts while in the box.

We ship heavy assemblies every day, and they are tightly wrapped in bubble-wrap. No motion at all in the shipping box. It's the motion that pushes the yoke through the cardboard.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Widewing
I think that part of the trouble is the way Tom Woods packs their hardware. There should be virtually no motion of the drive shafts while in the box.

We ship heavy assemblies every day, and they are tightly wrapped in bubble-wrap. No motion at all in the shipping box. It's the motion that pushes the yoke through the cardboard.
Yes that is true. There was just wadded up newspaper at both ends the only thing wrapped around the shaft is shrinkwrap.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wiredawg_mg
The abuse that these are designed to take once they are on the jeep is way more than any UPS guy can dish out.

I would say go for it. You will know something is wrong soon enough
They do seem to be made out of solid steel so I guess I should get over the ugly cardboard. For what it is worth all of the zirks are intact, none knocked off.

Thank goodness I am having Off Road Evolution install these because if there is any trouble they will know what to do!! I have to count my-self lucky having them in my home town!!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your's came in boxes!!!????!!!!???? Mine just came wrapped in shrink wrap!!!!
I would say you don't have much to worry about... like so many have already said, these things are built to go under a heavy off road vehicle, run thru God only knows what, and hold up to guys like us who intend to say,,, Hey yall, watch this!!!!!!
Boxes are just to keep the dust off!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

If they use good reliable shipping methods, then a destroyed box means nothing. I would be stunned if UPS could bend a driveshaft like that. Its just the cv joint wobbling around. Its fine, put it on. I would only be concerned if the driveshaft has any dents in it.
Tom
Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Former Member

Bottom line is the company is responsible for making sure a product gets to the customer safely, soundly, and in a timely fashion. I suggest you take pictures of the boxes and the shafts and send them to Tom Woods. Get his advice. If he guarantees them to hold up to the shipping, then you get ORE to install them. If there's any problems after a few days, have Tom Woods replace them and they can deal with UPS for the damages.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't trust any company that just throws a big heavy driveline in a flimsy cardboard box not much bigger than the driveline itself... what a joke... of course it could get bent by the brown shirts.

I mean how hard would it be to wrap a few times in bubble wrap and stick it in a larger box with maybe some foam blocks on either end to support it?

Quick Reply: Would you risk using this?