Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Would you risk using this?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you risk using this?

I am having Off Road Evo install 5.13's next week but since I have a 4" lift I figured I should install driveshafts at the same time. After reading all the threads I could find I ordered from Tom Woods. They built them and shipped quickly. Unfortunately I do not think UPS could have trashed these things any worse!! Here is the front one:

Question is would you use them? When I pull the shafts out of the box they look ok but I am aftaid if they were whacked out of alignment they could grenade the transfer case. This is my daily driver so I do not have the luxury to just let it sit there and wait for replacements.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Mine showed up with two smashed zerks and missing most of the paint. I gave it a good look over with a level to make sure it was still straight and stuck the thing under the Jeep. It now has about 5k miles on it and still no vibrations at all.

I guess my point is that if a rough time in shipping is too much for the shaft it definitely won't last long under most of our Jeeps.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dadgummit
I am having Off Road Evo install 5.13's next week but since I have a 4" lift I figured I should install driveshafts at the same time. After reading all the threads I could find I ordered from Tom Woods. They built them and shipped quickly. Unfortunately I do not think UPS could have trashed these things any worse!! Here is the front one:

Question is would you use them? When I pull the shafts out of the box they look ok but I am aftaid if they were whacked out of alignment they could grenade the transfer case. This is my daily driver so I do not have the luxury to just let it sit there and wait for replacements.
If it looks trashed then like you already did.. take pictures! Then I would call Tom Woods and let them know the condition and forward the pics. That way they are aware of the situation. I would wait and see what they said before installing them. Just my
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, torn smashed boxes don't always equate to a f'd driveshaft. They're heavy bouncin around in that box. Stick It under and run it. Unless of course your ds is bent in the same angle as the box. Haha
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plus, if evo puts them in, I'm sure they' know if they're f'd or not.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Man, torn smashed boxes don't always equate to a f'd driveshaft. They're heavy bouncin around in that box. Stick It under and run it. Unless of course your ds is bent in the same angle as the box. Haha
Same angle as the box ... would not be good.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Loadbreak
If it looks trashed then like you already did.. take pictures! Then I would call Tom Woods and let them know the condition and forward the pics. That way they are aware of the situation. I would wait and see what they said before installing them. Just my
I called them first thing and they seemed like they were unsure of what to do. they finally decided on the "try it and see" theory.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man if it's bent at 30 degrees like the box, you'll most likely feel a wobble
Old 05-18-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Locklain
Mine showed up with two smashed zerks and missing most of the paint. I gave it a good look over with a level to make sure it was still straight and stuck the thing under the Jeep. It now has about 5k miles on it and still no vibrations at all.

I guess my point is that if a rough time in shipping is too much for the shaft it definitely won't last long under most of our Jeeps.
good point. I guess I am only hesitant because it is my daily driver with a 24 mile commute and my boss will not accept "I can't go to work because UPS jacked up my aftermarket driveshafts!!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Loadbreak
Same angle as the box ... would not be good.
Eyeballing it looks ok but my eyes are not a precision QC instrument. I was just hoping to hear more reports like post #2 who had similarly crushed boxes with good shafts!!

Last edited by dadgummit; 05-18-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you risk using this?