Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Would This Tire & Wheel Combo Work???

Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would This Tire & Wheel Combo Work???

My tires are definitely nearing bald. I'm starting to save now for a set of new tires and wheels that I hope to pick up come winter. Currently I have BFG A/T 33x12.50 tires on 15" wheels with 3.75" backspacing. They stick out a good couple inches or so from the fender flare. Personally, I've grown to prefer the more "safari" look -- tires flush with the fender flare and a more narrow tire too.

The combo I want to pull off are BFG A/T 295/75R16 tires (true 33.3x11.5) on 16" wheels with 5" of backspacing. I have a 3" coil lift and I do wheel... rarely, but I do like putting my JK through a flex test every-so-often. (My JK will mostly see forest service roads and moderate trails that take me to isolated photography spots).Will this new combination work without rubbing when turning or flexing, both on the road and off road?

Thanks!

I know factory wheels are 6.25" backspacing and the tires are about 10.5" wide or so. So I feel my combination would work. But I want you all to chime in with your help and opinions.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

No one's got a clue, huh!? I might just have to be the guinea pig on this one...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Pretty sure it's gonna rub. There's a ton of info online. just search a little. I think every tire and wheel combo possible has been tried and documented on a Jeep.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Not the same tire and wheel but here's another option if your considering moving up to a larger wheel for your next set.

305/70/16 Goodyear Duratracs

Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KPSquared
Pretty sure it's gonna rub. There's a ton of info online. just search a little. I think every tire and wheel combo possible has been tried and documented on a Jeep.
Hmm... I did do a quick search and pulled up one very old post within the same regards to my question. A couple Jeepers claimed it would work. I'm still unsure though. I really want to do it, but I'm not about to order new wheels and mount tires that are going to rub when flexing and especially turning.

Keep chiming in, everyone....

Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have 295s but do have craiger soft 8s with 5inch back spacing with 285/75r16. They only rubbed slightly on the stupid plastic airdam in reverse at full lock.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 AM
JK Freak

The only thing I would say is to check the backspacing required for your lift. A lot of lifts say to have wheels with minimum of 4.5" backspacing. I ran Crager Streetlock wheels (16x8.5) with a 5.25" backspace and 285/75r16 mud terrains with only some rubbing on the plastic air dam at full lock, under compression. I just replaced my wheels (mounting the tires now) with lower backspace for future lift plans (I like the tires sticking out look).

Quick Reply: Would This Tire & Wheel Combo Work???