Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

would a new top fix the leaks

Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would a new top fix the leaks

My factory soft top leaks would a new top stop the leaking I don't think it would but I don't know
Old 10-01-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Bump bump bump
Old 10-01-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My top leaked like crazy. I tried water testing it and sealing the leaks. Used some black silicone, a margin trowel, and a couple rags to smooth over the seals. All the water ended up moving somewhere else and continued to leak.

I realized that the header channel directs all the water to the door surrounds. From there it either goes into the jeep, or puddles up till the door is opened. In which case it falls all over the place.

Whether buying a new top will fix it, i will be able to tell by next summer when i get a new trektop! Until then, i think anyone who says there's doesn't leak is lying! JK

There was a thread too on attempting to fix the leaking. Its from a while back and i can't recall the title, sorry.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

no. as much as i'm sure you're gonna hate hearing this, leaks are common on just about ANY convertable and a jeep is no exception. fitting and alignment of your windshield frame to the soft top header or freedom panels will make a big difference. if it's off, you will get leaks.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure as Hell, take a look in the write ups section! There is a small thread there on leak prevention
Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560
My top leaked like crazy. I tried water testing it and sealing the leaks. Used some black silicone, a margin trowel, and a couple rags to smooth over the seals. All the water ended up moving somewhere else and continued to leak.

I realized that the header channel directs all the water to the door surrounds. From there it either goes into the jeep, or puddles up till the door is opened. In which case it falls all over the place.

Whether buying a new top will fix it, i will be able to tell by next summer when i get a new trektop! Until then, i think anyone who says there's doesn't leak is lying! JK

There was a thread too on attempting to fix the leaking. Its from a while back and i can't recall the title, sorry.
Thinking of getting the same top and wondering if it would fix the problem

Quick Reply: would a new top fix the leaks