Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Would this 4" lift set-up work for me?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this 4" lift set-up work for me?

I have a stock manual 2008 jk wrangler 2 door. I want to get a 4 inch lift and get some 35's on 17 inch wheels. What type of lift would be best for me? Maybe someone out there has a similar set-up with the same driving style as me:

I use my jeep as my daily driver so I mostly use it on road.

When I go wheeling I like to use it mostly on trails, decent sized rocks, and mud on the occasion it actually rains in southern Cali

I am pretty much set on getting 35 x 12.5 R17 BFGoodrich T/A KO tires. Undecided on 17" wheels to go with them, but they're gonna be black

I am really interested in the Rancho 4" Sport suspension lift. It costs about 1000 bucks which includes RS9000x shocks, and then there is a $500 rebate. So it will only be about $500 out the door. Would this suspension lift be good? Has anyone tried this lift kit? It seems like a killer price too.

Also, since I am going from a completely stock ride, what else is necessary? (Re-gearing, etc). I am still learning

THANKS!!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zippyd8
I have a stock manual 2008 jk wrangler 2 door. I want to get a 4 inch lift and get some 35's on 17 inch wheels. What type of lift would be best for me? Maybe someone out there has a similar set-up with the same driving style as me:

When I go wheeling I like to use it mostly on trails, decent sized rocks, and mud on the occasion it actually rains in southern Cali

I am pretty much set on getting 35 x 12.5 R17 BFGoodrich T/A KO tires. Undecided on 17" wheels to go with them, but they're gonna be black

I am really interested in the Rancho 4" Sport suspension lift. It costs about 1000 bucks which includes RS9000x shocks, and then there is a $500 rebate. So it will only be about $500 out the door. Would this suspension lift be good? Has anyone tried this lift kit? It seems like a killer price too.

Also, since I am going from a completely stock ride, what else is necessary? (Re-gearing, etc). I am still learning

THANKS!!!!!

Here ya go, This should anwser your question
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...e-try-one-here

^First post on forum too

Last edited by Croce; 08-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANKS!!!!!
you'll want to read on every kit and everyone has their own opinions. im in socal and your description on your dd is the same as mine. the only difference is that I have a 2 door and its an automatic.

THANKS!!!!!
You don't really need 4" to run 35's but it looks pretty good on a four door...

as for my DD, I just purchased the OME HD LT kit from Northridge and it is a nice ride! it's a lot better then stock and it will accommodate for 35's in the near future.

and gearing... it's not a must, but if you don't like or complain about the lack of power in your jeep now, you wlll eventually be forced to regear!

You planning on installing the lift kit yourself?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

On-going thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=rancho

And it's right here on the very first page on modified threads...
Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Former Member

i would stick with a 3" lift for 35's on the 2 door.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

TeraFlex
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

oops!!! I saw the other post about the Rancho Lift about 30 seconds after I listed this post.

I don't think I will be doing it myself. I would but I don't have the tools and equipment.

Anyways, for about $500 it seems like a steal. And it looks like I'll try it out without the re-gearing, and just upgrade if I feel the need. I also want to put an exhaust and intake on it eventually which should give it a little more hp to help with it too.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops!!! I saw the other post about the Rancho Lift about 30 seconds after I listed this post.

I don't think I will be doing it myself. I would but I don't have the tools and equipment.

Anyways, for about $500 it seems like a steal. And it looks like I'll try it out without the re-gearing, and just upgrade if I feel the need. I also want to put an exhaust and intake on it eventually which should give it a little more hp to help with it too.
a few things.

look into the rebate deal with rancho. i think its 6 months out for some people.

look to see in our staging area for some wrenching parties or for a group lift install or something and you'll def save some money on labor
Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
a few things.

look into the rebate deal with rancho. i think its 6 months out for some people.

look to see in our staging area for some wrenching parties or for a group lift install or something and you'll def save some money on labor

That's a good idea I'll check it out. And it looks like I can still do the rebate as long as I buy it by Aug 31st and mail the rebate form by Oct 1. And I don't mind if it takes a while to get the rebate back as long as I get it
Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
A 4" lift on a 2 door means you would have to budget for a rear driveshaft and rear upper control arms to adjust the pinion angle.

At 4" with the adjusted pinion angle for the aftermarket rear driveshaft, your rear coils will bow back so much that the passenger rear spring will not sufficiently clear the frame side trackbar bracket. Also, with the axle rotated that much, you will run the risk of the rear springs unseating from the lower spring perches when the suspension is flexed.

So, if you go with the incomplete & inexpensive 4" Rancho Sport lift on your 2 door, plan $500 for a rear driveshaft, $300 for rear upper arms, $100 for rear spring retainers, $30 for rear coil correction wedges, $200 for a Teraflex rear trackbar that bows out enough to clear the passenger side spring, & $30 for front 0.5" coil spacers to level out the jeep after installing the rear wedges.

Also, plan on flighty steering with a net 4.5" lift on a 2 door until you add front adjustable control arms for another $300.

As long as you know what you are in for, you should be okay.

Consider that instead of spending almost $800-$1000 on a chip, intake, throttle body spacer, exhaust, etc., you can regear for $1000-$1300 and get a far superior result.

Ok so which of these things are required, or recommended, or optional? I see now how the lift kit isn't complete though.

I mean... I'm sure there are people who put these kinds of lifts on without doing all these additional upgrades, right?

Last edited by zippyd8; 08-09-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Would this 4" lift set-up work for me?