Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Worthy investment or waste of money?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worthy investment or waste of money?

I have a 2010 JK, with the stock engine, auto transmission. I am considering upgrading exhaust and adding a cold air intake. Will these mods enhance performance to any degree?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

What intake and exhaust are you running? I also have a 2010 two door JK. I was leaning toward Banks or AFE.
JK Enthusiast

I currently only have a AfE cold air installed, I noticed considerable throttle response and a little bit of fuel savings in the MPG department. Exhaust for me will come later in the year, maybe for Christmas.
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the CAI will probably cause a decrease in MPG (as you will be pedal happy), also if you are planning on offroading much or hitting puddles I wouldn't recommend the CAI.. hydro-locking is just not worth it. You would be better off chipping your Jeep then going the CAI route. the exhaust wont hurt anything, depending on how you go about it you could see moderate gains or losses. just depends on what you end up going with really....I know a lot of people love the MBRP exhaust.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

I definitely recommend both. You'd have to be in really deep water to even get water to the intake. You'd be more likely to suck water in the diffs first.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

For me I wouldn't spend the money on performance enhancing mods. I just accept the fact that my Jeep will always be painfully slow unless it gets a new engine.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CH10
For me I wouldn't spend the money on performance enhancing mods. I just accept the fact that my Jeep will always be painfully slow unless it gets a new engine.
I second this. But, I'd buy a hypertech that they are coming out with for tire size and performance and a whole host of other fun things.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf
I second this. But, I'd buy a hypertech that they are coming out with for tire size and performance and a whole host of other fun things.
Good point, wasn't thinking about that - a programmer will be a noticeable difference and provide utility as well.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Superchips would be more HP for the money vs. a CAI and has a lot of other beneficial features. Exhaust won't really give you any real power gains, but you'll like having the sound. I did CAI and exhaust before superchips and with hindsight I wouldn't bother with the CAI. It is cool because it gives you some throttle response and makes a cool turbo whistle noise, but really for the money isn't worth it. I run a water resistant cover on my CAI to prevent hydrolocking, but I am still very wary when playing with water. The water doesn't have to be up to the intake to hydro lock. A splash of water that hits the belts can fly in there and really F*** up your engine.

Quick Reply: Worthy investment or waste of money?