Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Worry about Smittybilt GEAR tailgate cover

Old 12-07-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RenegadeUL13
It's not your jeep until you put some holes in it! I have the tailgate cover and honestly I'm not impressed. I had to buy better screws, the crap smittybilt provides were to weak. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
I agree somewhat, the screws do suck but to not be impressed with the setup I disagree. I mean a couple of bucks to buy better screws didn't break the bank..

I have a ton of items on/in mine like; first aid/ trauma kit, ponchos, flares, tp, zip ties, folding shovel, axe, knife, box cutter, tools, tow strap, Alabama chrome, electrical tape, fuses, nuts/bolts/washers, and much much more..

I also have the overhead unit smittybilt makes, luv that too!

Great buy!
Augi
Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it about a year ago. I didn't want to drill into the back tailgate. I most mostly worried that it may start to rust over time. So I came up with an idea that seems to be working really well. The bags that a have are pretty loaded down with stuff and it still works great! So what I did was I went to radio shack and got the plastic strips of heavy duty Velcro. I used them before to hold a license plate on my motorcycle. I got a needle, some fishing line, and some alcohol wipes. First I put it down an figured our where I wanted the Velcro. I stitched the Velcro to the back of the Molly panel. Then I took the alcohol pads and wiped the inside of the tailgate down. I pulled the adhesive strips on and stuck it to the tailgate. After I placed it on I put the bags on the panel. The stitched on Velcro keeps the adhesive from separating from the back of the panel when it gets hot. I works great and I can remove the panel anytime I want! No drilling!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2987556904.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	515253  
Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicati
I got it about a year ago. I didn't want to drill into the back tailgate. I most mostly worried that it may start to rust over time. So I came up with an idea that seems to be working really well. The bags that a have are pretty loaded down with stuff and it still works great! So what I did was I went to radio shack and got the plastic strips of heavy duty Velcro. I used them before to hold a license plate on my motorcycle. I got a needle, some fishing line, and some alcohol wipes. First I put it down an figured our where I wanted the Velcro. I stitched the Velcro to the back of the Molly panel. Then I took the alcohol pads and wiped the inside of the tailgate down. I pulled the adhesive strips on and stuck it to the tailgate. After I placed it on I put the bags on the panel. The stitched on Velcro keeps the adhesive from separating from the back of the panel when it gets hot. I works great and I can remove the panel anytime I want! No drilling!
dude... This
Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do an eBay search for "jk molle". There is a seller on there with steel ones custom made for our JKs and he will custom make them to your needs. Very nice!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Do an eBay search for "jk molle". There is a seller on there with steel ones custom made for our JKs and he will custom make them to your needs. Very nice!
cool will look tonight!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by augichef
I agree somewhat, the screws do suck but to not be impressed with the setup I disagree. I mean a couple of bucks to buy better screws didn't break the bank..

I have a ton of items on/in mine like; first aid/ trauma kit, ponchos, flares, tp, zip ties, folding shovel, axe, knife, box cutter, tools, tow strap, Alabama chrome, electrical tape, fuses, nuts/bolts/washers, and much much more..

I also have the overhead unit smittybilt makes, luv that too!

Great buy!
Augi
The screws were pretty inexpensive, and I bought them at auto one. So no it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Just be aware you might as well get good screws from the jump. There are other reasons I don't care for it. They could have made a cutout around where the tailgate arm connects to the tailgate. Mine lands awkwardly between the edge and the inner portion. So be careful OP. Measure twice, screw once. I also don't like the large bag. It's huge and it is big enough to carry a large tow strap and other things but it hangs low and pushes against the floormat causing it to curl up on the edge.

All in all. It's not a bad product and by its nature it's designed to be interchangeable and I'm sure I could find better bags etc to hang off of it. But I feel there is room for improvement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2013, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RenegadeUL13
The screws were pretty inexpensive, and I bought them at auto one. So no it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Just be aware you might as well get good screws from the jump. There are other reasons I don't care for it. They could have made a cutout around where the tailgate arm connects to the tailgate. Mine lands awkwardly between the edge and the inner portion. So be careful OP. Measure twice, screw once. I also don't like the large bag. It's huge and it is big enough to carry a large tow strap and other things but it hangs low and pushes against the floormat causing it to curl up on the edge. All in all. It's not a bad product and by its nature it's designed to be interchangeable and I'm sure I could find better bags etc to hang off of it. But I feel there is room for improvement. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
good deal boss. Thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

I installed mine after one month of buying my 2013! Yes I didn't like the idea if drilling holes and such but I'm sure glad I did! I love my setup and I picked up a couple of more pouches at a army surplus store and added to it. Now all my stuff is secured to it and I don't have to worry about it rolling around in then back
Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's completely ok lol just use some nutserts!

O|||||||O
Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had one of these for about 5 years and move to the next vehicle when I trade. They are great to keep things in. This time it is mounted on a Gecko green JK and looks great.

Quick Reply: Worry about Smittybilt GEAR tailgate cover