Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Worry about Smittybilt GEAR tailgate cover

Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Papawhiskey
Nerve racking? Nerve racking is cutting large holes in your brand new hood to install a hood louvre. I was sweating like Alec Baldwin at an anger management seminar!
But seriously I love my smittybilt tailgate cover though if you do expose it to allot of sunlight it will fade quickly however they have held up well for the last 2 years.
come on now this is all basic fab work.... hell not even fab work just basic installs...
Old 12-05-2013, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Smittybilt tailgate organizer was the very first mod I did to my Jeep. It was about a month old at the time. Been running it since Christmas 2010 without issue. Yeah, it's pretty faded due to exposure to the elements, but I don't give a shit. I usually just keep a first aid kit and maybe some dry snacks, like crackers, trail mix, etc. back there. Probably need to change the snacks out at this point. But aside from fading, it's help up very well.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
The Smittybilt tailgate organizer was the very first mod I did to my Jeep. It was about a month old at the time. Been running it since Christmas 2010 without issue. Yeah, it's pretty faded due to exposure to the elements, but I don't give a shit. I usually just keep a first aid kit and maybe some dry snacks, like crackers, trail mix, etc. back there. Probably need to change the snacks out at this point. But aside from fading, it's help up very well.
interesting mine faded and when i put just a fold up shovel in it 2 straps broke they were like i said disnigrated. But i usually have the top off 10 months year in the new mexico sun...I liked it while it lasted.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ditto, for the money, I love the extra storage it gives me!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used and always use a bit of silicone sealant on the threads of freshly drilled holes. Or just a dab in the hole (clear or black) then install the screws.

I would definitely do this if I were drilling into the body for items such as rocker guards.

Oh, another tip on those Smitty Bilt tailgate covers; run a piece of Aluminum about 5/8" wide along at least the top edge to keep the cover from "drooping" between the screws. This "pinch" will also give added strength.

Last edited by Mschneid; 12-05-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 AM
EVD
JK Newbie

Installation and drilling was not a problem. However after a year or so the straps and mounts started failing. Maybe it was overloaded, but I didn't have that much in there. Ended up mounting a molle style table on top of it. This has held up much better as its metal, holds the same gear pouches, and gives the option of a drop down table.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVD
Installation and drilling was not a problem. However after a year or so the straps and mounts started failing. Maybe it was overloaded, but I didn't have that much in there. Ended up mounting a molle style table on top of it. This has held up much better as its metal, holds the same gear pouches, and gives the option of a drop down table.
i weighed my two bags. Together they weigh at 17lbs. Have had all that crap in there since new. My straps are still good. No issues here. I wonder if they changed specs part way through, went to a different manufacturer???
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know the feeling!! Had my a$$ clenched tight as I was cutting the hood on my previous JK when installing the AEV snorkel!! Drill the holes OP!!

Originally Posted by Papawhiskey
Nerve racking? Nerve racking is cutting large holes in your brand new hood to install a hood louvre. I was sweating like Alec Baldwin at an anger management seminar!
But seriously I love my smittybilt tailgate cover though if you do expose it to allot of sunlight it will fade quickly however they have held up well for the last 2 years.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was really happy when my wife got it for me one Christmas. It's great having the extra storage. I might add some stainless steel nutserts to replace the screws when I bedline the insdie of the tailgate in the spring.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikestoick
Hey guys, I really like this badass tailgate cover. Seems awesome for my recovery strap and all the crap rolling around in my jeep haha. However, I was heartbroken to see that the GEAR tailgate cover requires drilling holes. I hate to put holes in my baby just for the fact that its a brand new vehicle and it would feel so taboo to run a drill straight through my lovely gecko paint job haha. So, is there another product similar to this that requires less f ing of my tailgate? Haha. Feel free to hold my hand and tell me it's ok or sway me away from the Smittybilt cover carrier.

Btw, I seen the Smittybilt seat covers with the same MOLLE compatible set up, it's sweet but I have nice custom neoprene seat covers that I am very happy with. Thanks a ton! Jeep on.
It's not your jeep until you put some holes in it!

I have the tailgate cover and honestly I'm not impressed. I had to buy better screws, the crap smittybilt provides were to weak.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Worry about Smittybilt GEAR tailgate cover