Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Worry about Smittybilt GEAR tailgate cover

Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worry about Smittybilt GEAR tailgate cover

Hey guys, I really like this badass tailgate cover. Seems awesome for my recovery strap and all the crap rolling around in my jeep haha. However, I was heartbroken to see that the GEAR tailgate cover requires drilling holes. I hate to put holes in my baby just for the fact that its a brand new vehicle and it would feel so taboo to run a drill straight through my lovely gecko paint job haha. So, is there another product similar to this that requires less f ing of my tailgate? Haha. Feel free to hold my hand and tell me it's ok or sway me away from the Smittybilt cover carrier.

Btw, I seen the Smittybilt seat covers with the same MOLLE compatible set up, it's sweet but I have nice custom neoprene seat covers that I am very happy with. Thanks a ton! Jeep on.

Last edited by k0260; 12-04-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

I also wasn't happy drilling into a brand new JKU but they are small,holes that could be easily plugged if needed. And if you want to mod a jeep your going to have to drill some holes here and there. I am very happy with the cover. Gives you some good organization and looks good.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it too. Was also reluctant at first. But now, I love it! I have tons of crap in there!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had it, but it was a pile. After a few months in the sun the straps disintegrated and the whole thing slowly fell apart...
Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I think ill just go for it. Fuck it
Old 12-04-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
I had it, but it was a pile. After a few months in the sun the straps disintegrated and the whole thing slowly fell apart...
interesting..... I installed mine in August 2012. No issues......... Still like new. Sorry for your luck!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 PM
JK Freak

I also hav neoprene seat covers and this smittybuilt gear tailgate piece. Love it. Out of the way of the cargo area, easy to access, and very convenient. Strong too. It's a bunch of small holes on ur interior sheetmetal. Doesnt expose u to the elements any more than the venting in the back. Recommend it!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have this cover on mine and I don't regret it at all. It was a bit nerve racking to be drilling holes into my tailgate but...the job is done. Just remember you would want to use a punch first and maybe put masking tape or painters tape over the area to be drilled.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JeepersLife
I have this cover on mine and I don't regret it at all. It was a bit nerve racking to be drilling holes into my tailgate but...the job is done. Just remember you would want to use a punch first and maybe put masking tape or painters tape over the area to be drilled.
yeah, and if you as anally retentive as I, I also hit my drilled holes with touch up paint.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nerve racking? Nerve racking is cutting large holes in your brand new hood to install a hood louvre. I was sweating like Alec Baldwin at an anger management seminar!
But seriously I love my smittybilt tailgate cover though if you do expose it to allot of sunlight it will fade quickly however they have held up well for the last 2 years.

Quick Reply: Worry about Smittybilt GEAR tailgate cover