Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Working on getting a BA Jeep built

Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wanna run 37s I would deffinetly make sure I had a d44. I wouldn't waste a penny on a d30. Bc everyone seems to eventually upgrade to a d44 or bigger if they are planning on going BIG like you said you want too
Old 08-26-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ghostjk
If you wanna run 37s I would deffinetly make sure I had a d44. I wouldn't waste a penny on a d30. Bc everyone seems to eventually upgrade to a d44 or bigger if they are planning on going BIG like you said you want too
But like he said his goal is not to wheel the crap out of it , so a 30 will be fine
Old 08-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would start saving for a PR44. The D30 won't hold up with the 37's, especially with 5.13 or 5.38 gears. The tiny pinion gear of a D30 is weak, especially when you start adding more and finer teeth of a lower gear set. Gussets and sleeves only strengthen the housing, but will not do anything to the internals
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well my friend started building his d30 up for 37s, rcv's, 538, dynatrac bj, Detroit locker, etc. Well two ring and pinions stripped so far, and he is now saving up for the prorock 44.

I started saving for the prorock and have run 33's on my d30. Now I've got all my stuff ready and he is starting over from scratch and wishing he had done right the first time.

That's why in my opinion you should build for your end goal to start with, and do it right once. Just my thoughts
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Have you seen a 4" lift on 37's it is big , but what you are describing is more for looks there is nothing wrong with it , but a lot of stuff you are asking about no one will ever see , but will make your rig very capable

My rig 37 on 20's , 5.13 gears sleeved and gussets and fox shocks and a lot more
Love your front bumper bro. Who makes it?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can't you fit 37syou with a bb, 1" body lift, and flat fenders? If you're not going to wheel it id do that......or skip it all together and out the $$$ into something else since lifting it is reaally pointless if you don't wheel it
Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Have you seen a 4" lift on 37's it is big , but what you are describing is more for looks there is nothing wrong with it , but a lot of stuff you are asking about no one will ever see , but will make your rig very capable

My rig 37 on 20's , 5.13 gears sleeved and gussets and fox shocks and a lot more
Love your rig bro. Been looking at JKs with this setup and I'm starting to lean more towards the 4" lift.

Originally Posted by Audiodogg
If no actual 4x4ing then spending tons of $$ is pointless unless you just want the stuff to say you have it. But if you just want to be big then get a 4" lift -rancho sport goes on sale for $500 now & then or another lift that'll get you high, flat xenon fenders & 37s on 17" rims. Say $5000 into it & you'll have a big jeep. The D30 will do just fine if you not 4x4ing hard. There's guys here with d30 still going strong on 4" lifts with 37s 5 years later of abuse & never had problems. If somebody doesn't know how to wheel or wheels like a mad man/idiot they'll bust everything anyways lol
I had a 2002 TJ a couple years back. Took it on a couple hard trails and it did ok. It had a 4" lift sitting on 33s and was nowhere near the level of badassery as I have planned for my JK. I DID say I wouldn't be wheeling it hard, but we all know how that goes. I wouldn't say that it'll never happen. If and when it does, I want my rig to be capable. Once or twice a year on hard trails might be feasible sometime down the road. Main thing is I want to get a feel for it and slowly build her up, or myself up for that matter, before I tackle anything serious and break something due to inexperience causing downtime that I don't have... time for.

It's looking like 5.13s, 4" lift, and 37s. Still not sure about the D44 vs D30...some more input would be great from those of you running D30 with 37s. So far it seems the majority agree on saving the wasted money of upgrading a D30 and just biting on the D44. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
I live in a town of only 102,000. Very few people in my town have gone nuts building their JK. Because of this I get the "DAMMMNN" look your talking about all the time. I'm sure several other people on this board have the same thing happen. People will literally pull beside me and tell me how great she looks or talk to me in parking lots.

I have a 2012 JKU(stock) and my built 2007. The 2007 looks much bigger than the 2012.

I bought a base model so I have D30 front and D44 rear. I only run 35" tires but will graduate to 37" in the future. The only things I have done to prepare my front axle is to gusset the Cs and I bought a truss from PureJeep. It's called a "Backbone Brace" which prevents me from having to install sleeves. I also have chromoly shafts. I run about the same kind of trails you described. I should have no problems with 37s. If I do it is just an excuse to upgrade.
Honestly I wouldn't mind upgrading the 30s and then upgrading to 44s if it came down to that. Considering I won't be driving it much throughout the year I would say its safe to say I can at least see a good year out of the 30s. By the time that year is done, forking the dough over for a 44 won't really hurt my wallet. Don't know yet though...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

...or you could just buy an h2 haha!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you do build up the 30 just keep in mind you will not get back what you put in to it. As in resale value. But that's almost always the case with cars and parts

Quick Reply: Working on getting a BA Jeep built