Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Words of advice

Old 09-22-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Words of advice

So I was washing my jeeps admiring some battle scars from past trips remember a lot of my earlier runs. While reading through some jeep jamboree threads I saw a fair number of this is my first jamboree posts. That got me thinking about when I first off roaded and the parts I have bought that I didn't or regretted getting so I want to start a thread to the new jeepers out there giving some advise.

First don't be afraid to ask questions. Most modified jeep owners I know love talking about their rig don't be shy or afraid to ask about it. I have met a lot people this way .

Second look into the parts your buying ask questions but remember that the information on these forums are typically opinions this not the final end all to everything.

Third when on the trail if you get to a point your unsure of stop and ask for a spotter.

Fourth don't wheel alone esp if you don't know the trails

Ok. Please ad any advise you can think of to this thread it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey please if you read this add your two cents to it an be positive no negative comments please
Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Best mod I've made is gears. I have a 2011 JKU with 35's and almost went back to stock wheels and tires. Gears changed the vehicle.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 AM
CT2
JK Enthusiast

Be aware that spotters don't always know what the best line for your Jeep or your capabilities....esp when there is more than one. That's brings me to another point when there is more than 1 person - spotters wanting to give directions stop and tell them to pick who is doing the spotting.
Bottom line...its your Jeep and if you believe your not getting the correct advice take your own line.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

-Nobody can force you to do anything u don't want to do. Like mentioned above, it's ur jeep not theirs. No REAL off roader will heckle u into doing something u don't want to. If they do then ur wheeling with the wrong group, turn around and go home safely.
-always carry a first aid kit and some basic recovery gear
-don't worry about what parts Joe Blow is buying, build ur rig the way YOU want to.
-pack out what you pack in
-NEVER BUSHWACK
-most of all HAVE FUN OUT THERE!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread idea. Jeeps and aftermarket products are always changing and it is really valuable to continue building on what is learned. It will be interesting to hear what people have to add to this.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smittybilt XRC armor fenders
- not as tight of a fit as you might think. That being said, they payed for themselves the first wheeling trip out! Damage to the tub of my rig would have been severe. I would buy them again in a heart beat but luckily they are tough so I don't see that happening

Smittybilt SRC stinger front bumper
- tough as nails (torture tested within 12 hrs of install) with a built in winch plate for 400 bucks....... Enough said.

Rustys 3.25" basic lift
- better ride than stock, took the rake out of the body, and netted over 3.25" of lift on a JKU, and comes with adjustable front and rear Trac bars. Would buy again.

35x12.5x17 Toyo mt
- can't be stopped in any terrain! Ok that's extreme but they do well in every terrain I can find in the heartland. Only mt I'll buy.

17" procomp xtreme rockcrawler series 52 wheels
- heavy, but tough. Cheap too! Picked up 5 4.25" backspaced wheels for 500 shipped.

Ddm tuning hid kit
- problems problems problems. If your doing an hid upgrade buy a quality kit. Not the cheapest one you can find that your buddy told you was good.

Bed lining the tub was probably the best thing I've done so far. Cheap enough and a lot easier to clean mud out of than the carpets.

Disclaimer: this is my 2 cents and based soley on my opinion and experiences. It's YOUR rig and you should build it according to your intended use and style.

Jeep on!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

No one else?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Words of advice