Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

woods evap reloc issues

Old 05-09-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
I installed the Rock Hard skid...didn't have to move a thing.
Sure you can just skid it without moving it..... BUT...if you move it, you can use that valuable realestate for an exhaust move or an OBA set up.. then skid that.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepik
if the check ingine light is on

there has to be a code

get us the code

bottom line, is you messed something up with the install

whether it be not plugged in correctly. or you didnt tighten the hoses or seomthing

the kit is top notch, and in no way could have caused the check engine light to come on

Hey, go easy on the guy. No one said (in fact he pointed out) it has anything to do w/Woods. I'm going thru the same issue, and I never thought of blaming Brett, although I did contact him for advice.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Chances are, if you "knock off" the evap skid, you will in all likelihood have seriously damaged other stuff on your belly, skid plated or not.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by N2rock
another thought- your gas cap?

My son's car had the CEL come on last month. He took it to the dealer, they hooked it up and came up with "evap leak". They checked the gas cap and the seal on the gas cap was broken. They replaced it and CEL gone.

2 weeks later the CEL came back. Same code... They checked the new gas cap and discovered a crack in it. Replaced and problem solved again.

Just a thought.
X2, That was going to be my suggestion.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

My son's car had the CEL come on last month. He took it to the dealer, they hooked it up and came up with "evap leak". They checked the gas cap and the seal on the gas cap was broken. They replaced it and CEL gone.

2 weeks later the CEL came back. Same code... They checked the new gas cap and discovered a crack in it. Replaced and problem solved again.

Just a thought.

Yeah, they're definitely related. My check engine light has been on since the evapcan was moved (~2 weeks), and the gascap message came on a few days ago. I'm no mechanic, but I'd bet lunch they're related, or even 1 is a false signal from the other.
I'm gonna go over all the hoses this weekend, then take it to the dealer.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEEJ
?

The engine light is on, with no codes?

They think it might be the evap can, even though there's no codes?

Are there any drivability issues, changes you can observe OTHER than the engine light?

There's typically a solinoid that opens and closes as needed for the system to perform a vacuum/pressure sef diagnostic check, like on start-up, etc...but, if that were to malfunction, there is a code for it.

The canister is not a complicated item other than that solinoid set-up, and that's not realy complicated, its just more than a PLAIN can of charcoal with some lines in/out of it, etc.

yes engine light is on

no code stealership could not get a code but said it is most likely the evap as it is a very finely tuned system

it throws the engine light on rite after start up.

they were like simple thing like gas cap loose but i'm the only one that fills my jeep and i turn it half turn after tight so all ya here is several clicks.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Jedi

Have you contacted Woods about it? He may have some ideas to help you out and he is very service oriented!

I have Woods kit on mine and have no issues?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepik
if the check ingine light is on

there has to be a code

get us the code

bottom line, is you messed something up with the install

whether it be not plugged in correctly. or you didnt tighten the hoses or seomthing

the kit is top notch, and in no way could have caused the check engine light to come on
nothing got messed up and
YES THE ENGINE LIGHT IS ON WITH NO CODE! I'm not speaking of wives tails here or i would not have posted this.
i like the kit
I installed it as per instructions
this is where the kits should have been.

i turn the key 3 times it has
-------
then seconds later says dOnE

took it to dealership i watched them hook up the reader he checked for DTC and no stored codes
he reset the computer and said only seen that a few time it was a momentary thing likely the evap system

again before posting this I went and re checked everything
i will get some contact grease and put it on the connections next time i'm under. probably tonight
when i reset the computer.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Just a thought.
I will go check this
Old 05-09-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Doubtful... Have laid under your jeep? There's not a whole lot that is exposed to being hit, EXCEPT the evap canistor. It's location definitely leaves it exposed to a possible rock hit that would otherwise cause no issue.
I'm thinking differentials...definitely sits lower....rear shock mounts...ripping off the evap skid, and nothing else being touched would have to be an act of God

Quick Reply: woods evap reloc issues