Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wondering steering help!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
It's always so weird to see 2WD wranglers. Those BJs must have been replaced by previous owner. Factory is not serviceable and yours have grease zerk on top. If you start looking at steering boxes, know that there IS a difference between 2dr and 4dr boxes, so just make sure you pay attention to what you order.
Yea I went and looked at it and the listing mentioned nothing about it being 2wd but I got it for a steal so I jumped on it. It was a one owner from an older insurance agent and clean as could be under it so deff never been wheeled and beat on being 2wd and an old dude owner. And Yea I’ve come across that a few times in looking for the box.

Any thoughts on reman boxes? Like I said it’s not going to be off-roaded if ever it’s more for fun and daily driving with the top off with the wife and dogs. Some people highly suggest against them but I never seem to have trouble out of reman parts, but again this is my first Jeep LOL. Are reman Jeep parts a no no?
Old 08-23-2019, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Peek under the driver's side wheel well liner, and see if your steering box says DELPHI on it. It would be so big it's hard to miss. If you have a Delphi box, all parts in that are replaceable. You could send it off the West Texas Offroad (mentioned higher up in the thread), and they will rebuild it for $180. If it doesn't say DELPHI on it, it's a chinese brick and you're back to the question you just posed.

If it were me, I'd feel ok trying a re-manufactured box, but I'd rather have my own box rebuilt if possible.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Peek under the driver's side wheel well liner, and see if your steering box says DELPHI on it. It would be so big it's hard to miss. If you have a Delphi box, all parts in that are replaceable. You could send it off the West Texas Offroad (mentioned higher up in the thread), and they will rebuild it for $180. If it doesn't say DELPHI on it, it's a chinese brick and you're back to the question you just posed.

If it were me, I'd feel ok trying a re-manufactured box, but I'd rather have my own box rebuilt if possible.
Its a DELPHI. I’m probably gonna contact them seems cheaper than a reman either way. Even a reman from Rock auto is more expensive.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Those guys are really good out there. I just installed their RNR on my jeep. They've been porting factory boxes for hydro steering for years and years, so tearing down and rebuilding your box will be like a walk in the park for them.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Those guys are really good out there. I just installed their RNR on my jeep. They've been porting factory boxes for hydro steering for years and years, so tearing down and rebuilding your box will be like a walk in the park for them.
Got ahold of them just a few min ago. They are 2.5 weeks out. Guess It’s wheelin weather. Lol any other suggestions for rebuilds?
Old 08-23-2019, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

How adventurous are you? I haven't looked, but I'd bet there are videos as well.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/write...x-rebuild.html

Worst case scenario, you're just back to square 1 right? Out a bit of time.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

How adventurous are you? I haven't looked, but I'd bet there are videos as well.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/write...x-rebuild.html

Worst case scenario, you're just back to square 1 right? Out a bit of time.
I’m up for an adventure hahah but tearing into a steering box....idk lmao for the headache I’m not sure. I actually just found a reman at oreilleys with a lifetime warranty for 249.00 just gotta return the core.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Man, that's a tough call. That Dephi core you have is much more valuable to people than the chinese pos boxes. I know from a convenience aspect that makes sense.....but hurts to think about trading the Delphi in for it.
The following users liked this post:
Blev2922 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Man, that's a tough call. That Dephi core you have is much more valuable to people than the chinese pos boxes. I know from a convenience aspect that makes sense.....but hurts to think about trading the Delphi in for it.
Well I bit the bullet and bought the one from O’Reilly. Installed it last night and holy crap it’s a totally different Jeep!!! Smooth as can be and drives like brand new. As many lifted trucks and suvs as I’ve had I’ve never seen one handle like that steering box did. Took me about 3-4 hours start to finish. But man it’s night and day. One I got has a lifetime warranty on it so should be good till it shits out on me then I’m just out my labor time down the road. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 08-26-2019, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Glad that solved the issue. There have been a few recent threads that turned out to be the actual steering box. It sure is a much less likely culprit, but I guess some of these are definitely getting some years on em.
The following users liked this post:
Blev2922 (08-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Wondering steering help!