Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wobble under braking

Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about rain?

How many miles is your commute? Does this only happen at the beginning of your drive?

A bent rotor would be a constant problem no matter temperature, weather, speed, etc. A bent rotor can also cause a rhythmic noise as the wheel turns. It could be a squeak, a metal on metal clank or a subtle rubbbing groaning noise. After a lot of miles you will see the brakes pads on the bent rotor worn unevenly. That takes a lot of miles to happen though.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernnz
How about rain?

How many miles is your commute? Does this only happen at the beginning of your drive?

A bent rotor would be a constant problem no matter temperature, weather, speed, etc. A bent rotor can also cause a rhythmic noise as the wheel turns. It could be a squeak, a metal on metal clank or a subtle rubbbing groaning noise. After a lot of miles you will see the brakes pads on the bent rotor worn unevenly. That takes a lot of miles to happen though.
usually starts at the beginning i drive maybe 15 miles one way to work and i have roughly 8200miles on the jeep currently
Old 02-13-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stated in first post it happens just first part of your drive and then goes away when almost to work? I wouldn't think it would be a bad rotor, it would do it all the time. Try some different routes to work maybe, and rotate tires make sure all front end parts are tight, did you install any parts recently?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yeller Sled
Ok guys im unsure if this is really death wobble. Every morning on the way to work when i brake for a light or car etc.... i get a light shimmy to a hard wobble in my steering wheel and by the time i get to work it seems to subside. Again this is only during braking not while hitting bumps etc.. Anyone have any ideas or fixes?
i get the same thing however not when i brake, only when i am on the highway and hit a bump.... :-/
Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Strange suggestion... Turn off the ESP to see if it still does it.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like a front brake rotor is warped. Warped mine at 15,000 miles. Didn't change till 30,000 though. No more wobbling steering wheel while braking.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PAwrangler08
i get the same thing however not when i brake, only when i am on the highway and hit a bump.... :-/
thats bump steer and not the same thing as this.

Quick Reply: Wobble under braking