Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wobble after Tire Rotation

Old 05-08-2015, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble after Tire Rotation

So I just had my tires rotated when I went to get the Jeep inspected. Afterwards I got a front end wobble from around 40-50 mph. Since its speed related I believe it to be the tire just out of balance (all 5 balanced with Equal). Anyways, I believe it is my front left tire that's out of balance and am wondering how you suggest to rotate the tires so the bad one isn't on front? I had them rotate them based on this diagram from tire rack.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1322819096.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	609968  
Old 05-09-2015, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to to get it balanced first. No sense in avoiding the problem. I also use a similar rotation except I do not include my spare bc it truly is a spare( chunks missing in thread from wheeling ). Also, it would be good to have it checked bc it might be a bent wheel.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Check for all the usual things: tire pressures; tire/wheel run out; lug nut torque; missing balance weights.

How many miles on the tires? I had the same thing happen when my first set was close to needing replacement. One of the rear tires caused shimmy when moved to the front. Turned out the tire wouldn't balance correctly. That was after 76,000 miles, so I bought a new set.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scafootballpro5
So I just had my tires rotated when I went to get the Jeep inspected. Afterwards I got a front end wobble from around 40-50 mph. Since its speed related I believe it to be the tire just out of balance (all 5 balanced with Equal). Anyways, I believe it is my front left tire that's out of balance and am wondering how you suggest to rotate the tires so the bad one isn't on front? I had them rotate them based on this diagram from tire rack.
Had the same thing happen to me recently after rotating 5 Cooper Discoverer STT's after Moab trip. (I have 35's.) Hopefully what I discovered will save you some headache like it did me. First, I did a little research on different ways to balance the tires since the store I purchased them from was saying they were balanced....that is, all but my spare. For some reason the spare wanted 15oz inside weight and 7oz outside, which is way too much. (Turns out the spare was out-of-round and will have a new one under warranty headed my way.)

What I found with the other four was I needed to find a "Road Force" balancer. I'm sure there are many brands but this thing applies 1250 pounds to the tire as it's being rotated and can more accurately allow the operator to apply the appropriate weight in the right places. Found a nearby dealership that had the machine...wow, what a difference. A mere $60 later and I was back on the road doing 70+ with no wobble and no worries. Might give it a try, here's a link to locate one in your area if you want to give it a shot....Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

As he said above me, getting them road force balanced will likely solve your issue. I would still check the other things mentioned such as tire pressures, tire/wheel runout, etc. first though. I had the exact same scenario last time I changed my oil, I also rotated the tires and immediately after, I had a wobble in the steering wheel between 40-50 mph. Rotated the wheels back as they were just until I could get them road force balanced. Here's a link to find a shop near you who can do it:

Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix

Hope that helps
Old 05-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info SuperDave and Tatonka! Did not know about road force balancing. Thanx!!
Old 05-11-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you guys! What I did for now was rotate the spare, front passenger, and front driver in a counter clockwise rotation until I can get them balanced. It's helped so far, but I went wheeling pretty hard Saturday and had it escalate to full on death wobble. So now I'm going through the checklist for that as it obviously triggered something else that's wrong.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scafootballpro5
Thank you guys! What I did for now was rotate the spare, front passenger, and front driver in a counter clockwise rotation until I can get them balanced. It's helped so far, but I went wheeling pretty hard Saturday and had it escalate to full on death wobble. So now I'm going through the checklist for that as it obviously triggered something else that's wrong.
Mud in the wheel will do it. I also rip wheel weights off every time I wheel. Clean the wheels and get them rebalanced. Check the toe and ball joints.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Already cleaned it and nothing in the wheels. I don't have weights on the wheels they're balanced with the sandbag things.

Quick Reply: Wobble after Tire Rotation