Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wobble at 55 MPH

Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotate tires front to back and see if that changes anything.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Garrett J.KU
I got the same thing exept for 60 mph. I put my 2.5 teraflex bob lift installed (did it myself) and the moment you hit 60 it was like a earthquake. Took it my friends shop yesterday ad they aligned it and it's still there but a world better then what it was, I'm scared to mess with any of it now bc they tuned it half ass or whatever but they told me to get a steering stabilizer but like Iv Hurd that just covers the problem up?
X2 on rotating the tires!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

I've got the exact same issue. It's just an irritating shimmy, observable in the steering wheel. I'm running bfg m/t 255/75/r17 with 40k on them. They are the ones that came stock on my 2 door 2010 mountain edition. I just retorqued every bolt on the front end. Still there. Checked tire inflation. Still there. Rotate tires every 5k miles.

I have not had the wheels balanced or the alignment checked since purchasing it. I run a 2.5 coil lift. Have had the lift on quite a while and experienced no problems up until now. I'll check balance and alignment this weekend or next week.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Good luck on your problems.

Ol' Bob
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Junkie

Got the draglink installed... And the f#%^* wobble is still there:( oh well new wheels and tires next
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LikeMike850
Got the draglink installed... And the f#%^* wobble is still there:( oh well new wheels and tires next
Which bolt is the drag link axle bracket? The stock one?? Check this? needs to be changed out and I'm sure the whole is wollered out. Disregard if this has been checked
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tizzyusmc

Which bolt is the drag link axle bracket? The stock one?? Check this? needs to be changed out and I'm sure the whole is wollered out. Disregard if this has been checked
I actually got a new oem draglink with but did not get a new pitman arm end. The axle side drag link joint was bad. It felt like it fit tight in the holes.! I've got to say the new link did make a big difference. Much tighter steering and no more clunk
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

I actually got a new oem draglink with but did not get a new pitman arm end. The axle side drag link joint was bad. It felt like it fit tight in the holes.! I've got to say the new link did make a big difference. Much tighter steering and no more clunk
Rotated my tires and my wobble disappeared. Surprising how much more rapidly these tires seem to wear out as I approach 45k on them. Back tires make a lot more noise due to he feathering tread wear. Anyway. Probably time for new tires in 5-10k more.

Good luck on tire change out.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Ok boys and girls.. I've been chasing this wobble for awhile now. Here is a list of things i've done to stop the wobble.
Northridge 9/16 bolt kit
New draglink, both ends and turnbuckle
Brand new tires, 35" BF goodrich allterrains
Balanced and rotated
Untorque everything and retorque at ride hight
Replaced front trackbar
Removed the circlips on the wheel studs

Now it's gotten much worse, Now i have the shimmys 40-55mph
I'm guessing it's the ball joints so im going to get an alignment this week and have them check the ball joints while they are there.

Any other things that could cause this? It's miserable to drive and i don't like when my jeep is like that:(
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Ok boys and girls.. I've been chasing this wobble for awhile now. Here is a list of things i've done to stop the wobble.
Northridge 9/16 bolt kit
New draglink, both ends and turnbuckle
Brand new tires, 35" BF goodrich allterrains
Balanced and rotated
Untorque everything and retorque at ride hight
Replaced front trackbar
Removed the circlips on the wheel studs

Now it's gotten much worse, Now i have the shimmys 40-55mph
I'm guessing it's the ball joints so im going to get an alignment this week and have them check the ball joints while they are there.

Any other things that could cause this? It's miserable to drive and i don't like when my jeep is like that:(
If you do the ball joints , let me know. Never done it, but I'd be glad to lend a hand.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my ball joints. I went with Synergy and so far I am very happy with them. Install in a PITA but with some patience it can be done just plan for the whole day. I swapped these in for my stock ones at around the 20,000 mile mark. I'm glad I did the swap when I did it was surprising to see how worn they were.

Quick Reply: Wobble at 55 MPH