Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wobble at 55 MPH

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
I had this same shimmy felt in the steering wheel except between 50 and 52 MPH. Turned out to be unbalanced tires, despite having them balanced by two different shops. Running them eventually wore out my track bar heim joint and that play resulted in major shimmy over bumps at highway speed. I highly recommend you check your track bar, ball joints, and other front suspension components for play, and get the tires Roadforce balanced.
Alright ill check those out and let everyone know how it goes
Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a real violent shaking when I hit 55 it shook the steering wheel as well as the entire Jeep. Figured out it was the rear u-joint in my rear drive shaft. Not sure if your running after market drive shafts but it's something I would still look into.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronin2120
I had a real violent shaking when I hit 55 it shook the steering wheel as well as the entire Jeep. Figured out it was the rear u-joint in my rear drive shaft. Not sure if your running after market drive shafts but it's something I would still look into.
Thanks will also look into that!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im willing to bet its unbalanced tires. I had this exact same problem, same speed. Turned out I knocked a few weights off my rear tire when wheeling. Got them checked and balanced and it went away!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by justbandit55
Im willing to bet its unbalanced tires. I had this exact same problem, same speed. Turned out I knocked a few weights off my rear tire when wheeling. Got them checked and balanced and it went away!
Im going to head up to discount tire to get them balanced today! Ill let everyome know how it goes.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Junkie

Got the tires balanced but still does it... Helpppp please..
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Had this problem a week ago and It turned out my drag link was worn out. The shake wasn't noticeable until I got up to about 55mph. I bought a new one at a local auto parts store for 60 dollars and it completely fixed it!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LikeMike850
you might still need to check all the bolts for the trackbar, drag link and control arms. also balljoints.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justbandit55
yeah that's what I would of expected.. I had this issue for awhile around 45-50 mph steady. Turned out to simply be tires out of balance.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LikeMike850
An out-of-round tire, or a tire with internal damage or bogus construction will feel about the same as an out-of-balance tire.

In any case, it hasta something that rotates to create a wobble/shake/vibration. Other steering and suspension parts can only respond to the shake; they can't start it.

I've returned a couple of complete sets of tires because they would not balance and run true. The dealer will do anything and everything to blame it on something else - but really - nothing else is rotating!

Quick Reply: Wobble at 55 MPH