Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wobble at 55 MPH

Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DW was fixed with new Synergy front upper and lower ball joints and an alignment.

Also put a new teraflex steering stabilizer on just for fun!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

I had wobble like that. I put on new Poly ball joints in,new Bilstein stabilizer, had the 9/16 bolt kit, new RK draglink with Moog ends, Currie Tie Rod all installed and death wobble went away but not shimmy at 55. Finally got new Toyo MT's to replace constantly out of balance GY MTR's...wallah!!! Soft riding yet firm No shimmy!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

My jeep did this while it was under warranty, dodge replaced the steering damper and it resolved the problem
Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Got under there and retorqued everything and it did get a tiny bit better but it's still there...
Could it be ball joints? Bushings? Help...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went wheeling yesterday and on the way home got death wobble. I only have a 1.75 spacer lift and never had any problems before. When I finally got home I cleaned up some more and found clumps of mud on the inside of my wheel causing it to be unbalanced. Cleaned it out and the shimmy and death wobble disappeared instantly
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Default Rotate this!

Started seeing a small shake at near 60mph. 10mph above or below and no vibration at all. Rotated tires and adjusted pressure down to 35psi (dealer does $10 oil change and always pressures to 37). No more shakes. Somebody is out of balance or round.

Rotation is a quick (and cheap) check to see if the problem is tires or suspension.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Started seeing a small shake at near 60mph. 10mph above or below and no vibration at all. Rotated tires and adjusted pressure down to 35psi (dealer does $10 oil change and always pressures to 37). No more shakes. Somebody is out of balance or round.

Rotation is a quick (and cheap) check to see if the problem is tires or suspension.
Thanks ill check my tire pressure when i get home!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

do you feel de wobble in the steering or is it on your seat ( ass where you sit ) if its the steering it come from the front if its the seat its at the back. do you have sound with it ??
Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dvmojo
do you feel de wobble in the steering or is it on your seat ( ass where you sit ) if its the steering it come from the front if its the seat its at the back. do you have sound with it ??
Steering wheel and you can feel it in the whole jeep passengers front and back can feel it
Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same shimmy felt in the steering wheel except between 50 and 52 MPH. Turned out to be unbalanced tires, despite having them balanced by two different shops. Running them eventually wore out my track bar heim joint and that play resulted in major shimmy over bumps at highway speed. I highly recommend you check your track bar, ball joints, and other front suspension components for play, and get the tires Roadforce balanced.

Quick Reply: Wobble at 55 MPH