Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wobble at 55 MPH

Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ol' Bob

If you do the ball joints , let me know. Never done it, but I'd be glad to lend a hand.
Will do Ol bob! Id love an extra set of hands!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 AM
JK Junkie

Took it to the shop yesterday and he the shop owner said that since i have aftetmarket wheel and tire combo that a static balance wouldnt work, so there shop is going to balance them the right way, he's also said somthing anout corecting the castor angle which i thought i achieved by getting control arm drops. He said somthing about a shim? Can anyone explain that better?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LikeMike850
Ok boys and girls.. I've been chasing this wobble for awhile now. Here is a list of things i've done to stop the wobble.
Northridge 9/16 bolt kit
New draglink, both ends and turnbuckle
Brand new tires, 35" BF goodrich allterrains
Balanced and rotated
Untorque everything and retorque at ride hight
Replaced front trackbar
Removed the circlips on the wheel studs

Now it's gotten much worse, Now i have the shimmys 40-55mph
I'm guessing it's the ball joints so im going to get an alignment this week and have them check the ball joints while they are there.

Any other things that could cause this? It's miserable to drive and i don't like when my jeep is like that:(
I've done almost exactly everything you have with the exception of trackbar and the fact that I'm running 37" GY MTR's... I did the draglink last week and I've ordered the rugged ridge ball joints and a new rugged ridge steering stabilizer..... I'm just hoping I can fix this before Jeep Beach next weekend!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

one other thing.... when braking theres a very subtle tapping feeling on the brake pedal. not like ABS or anything just a small randomly recurring tapping sensation.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys, I had the wobble issue as well. Before you spend an insane amount on your jeep, go to a tire shop and have them balance your wheels and make sure one isn't bent. I had my tires rotated while having the slight wobble and when they move the bent rim to the front I almost rolled the jeep at 55.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by REAPER2332
Hey guys, I had the wobble issue as well. Before you spend an insane amount on your jeep, go to a tire shop and have them balance your wheels and make sure one isn't bent. I had my tires rotated while having the slight wobble and when they move the bent rim to the front I almost rolled the jeep at 55.
Thanks for the info, i had my tires balanced at two different shops but the goodnews is i found my problem! Its my ball joints:( all four a shot! When the new ball joints come in and i get them
Installed i will let you guys know!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

I was going to guess drive shaft. Had that go on an Xterra once, it started off only shaking at 55 mph, then progressively got worse.

I thought it was my new tires. Even took it to the place I bought them, and they agreed, and replaced the tires with a different brand for free. Still, the car shook like mad. Finally figured out it was the drive shaft. Not sure if the lift can have anything to do with that, ie changing u-joint angles, etc.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info, i had my tires balanced at two different shops but the goodnews is i found my problem! Its my ball joints:( all four a shot! When the new ball joints come in and i get them
Installed i will let you guys know!
Mike. U making it to jeep beach? Wasn't sure if the front end wobble issues were gonna mess u up. I'm here with my daughter and her TJ. Hoping to meet and say hi on Saturday.

Ol Bob
Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ol' Bob

Mike. U making it to jeep beach? Wasn't sure if the front end wobble issues were gonna mess u up. I'm here with my daughter and her TJ. Hoping to meet and say hi on Saturday.

Ol Bob
Didn't make it to jeep beach becuase of the ball joints:(
I'll definently be there next year!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Didn't make it to jeep beach becuase of the ball joints:(
I'll definently be there next year!
Are you gonna put them in or farm it out to a shop.

Quick Reply: Wobble at 55 MPH