Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wobble at 55 MPH

Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just recenly i put a new rough country steering stabilizer on my jeep. Love the feel of it and it coverd up my death wobble for now. But the day after i put it on the steering wheel and whole jeep begans to wobble at 55 mph? Doesnt do it a 50 mph or 60 mph... Checked for loose bolts dont know what else to do... Had the tires balanced about a month ago. Any ideas what it could be?

Last edited by JK yeti; 11-26-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepkid850
So just recenly i put a new rough country steering stabilizer on my jeep. Love the feel of it and it cured my death wobble. But the day after i put it on the steering wheel and whole jeep begans to wobble at 55 mph? Doesnt do it a 50 mph or 60 mph... Checked for loose bolts dont know what else to do... Had the tires balanced about a month ago. Any ideas what it could be?
I had a wobble after my 2.5 lift was put on everytime I hit bumps in the road. I loosened all the control arm bolts and track bars the day after I had already torqued them and retorqued them and it solved my issue. Just check the bushings too
Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BosoxJK

I had a wobble after my 2.5 lift was put on everytime I hit bumps in the road. I loosened all the control arm bolts and track bars the day after I had already torqued them and retorqued them and it solved my issue. Just check the bushings too
Already retorqued everything under there. Any other ideas? Toe? Caster? Alignment?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Speed related wobble is very often due to tires being out of balance. A steering stabilizer does not cure anything like death wobble. It only covers it up. The cause is still there.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robar
Speed related wobble is very often due to tires being out of balance. A steering stabilizer does not cure anything like death wobble. It only covers it up. The cause is still there.
Alright well i'll take it in to discount tire this week. And i know about the steering stabilizer not "curing" death wobble only cover up the real problem. Im just hoping it covers it up a little longer untill i can save up a little cash.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

So just recenly i put a new rough country steering stabilizer on my jeep. Love the feel of it and it cured my death wobble. But the day after i put it on the steering wheel and whole jeep begans to wobble at 55 mph? Doesnt do it a 50 mph or 60 mph... Checked for loose bolts dont know what else to do... Had the tires balanced about a month ago. Any ideas what it could be?
Alright well i'll take it in to discount tire this week. And i know about the steering stabilizer not "curing" death wobble only cover up the real problem. Im just hoping it covers it up a little longer untill i can save up a little cash.
OK, I must have misunderstood when you said it cured your death wobble.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

OK, I must have misunderstood when you said it cured your death wobble.
Thats ok shouldn't have said cured.. Would ball joints have anything to do with the wobble?

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Yes. Worn ball joints can be a cause of death wobble.
This link has some good info:

[h=1]DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it[/h]
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Yes. Worn ball joints can be a cause of death wobble.
This link has some good info:

[h=1]DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it[/h]
Good info! Thanks!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Every wobble starts with something that rotates and is out-of-round or out-of-balance or both.

Once the wobble starts:
  • loose bolts,
  • bad bushings,
  • worn ball joints,
  • worn tie rod ends,
  • loose shock mounts,
  • wheels bearings,
  • a worn steering box,
  • loose or shot steering damper
  • and pretty much anything else that moves
can allow the wobble to keep going and even amplify until you pull over and start scratching your head

Quick Reply: Wobble at 55 MPH