Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wobble or ?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble or ?

I just put 1inch leveling disc on the front of my JKU to bring up the sag. It worked but there's a problem now. When I apply the brakes there is a slight wobble but only at low speed or just before I come to a stop.
Can anyone explain this?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you loosen all the front control arm and front trackbar bolts for the install and wait to retorque them until the full weight of the vehicle was back on the ground at the new ride height?

If not, the rubber bushings in your control arms and trackbar are twisted/preloaded/binding to the wrong ride height. When you brake and the front end slightly dives, the bushings are unloading a little when they reach a neutral position.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Did you loosen all the front control arm and front trackbar bolts for the install and wait to retorque them until the full weight of the vehicle was back on the ground at the new ride height?

If not, the rubber bushings in your control arms and trackbar are twisted/preloaded/binding to the wrong ride height. When you brake and the front end slightly dives, the bushings are unloading a little when they reach a neutral position.
I will check those out.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by Hrdtyme
I will check those out. Thanks
What you should do is loosen all 8 front control arm bolts and both front trackbar bolts.

Then, vigorously rock the vehicle forward and back and side to side to unbind everything.

Then, retorque the front trackbar and lower control arm bolts to 125 ft lbs and the upper control arm bolts to 75 ft lbs.

This should all be done with the full weight of the vehicle on the springs--usually, with the tires on the ground.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

What you should do is loosen all 8 front control arm bolts and both front trackbar bolts.

Then, vigorously rock the vehicle forward and back and side to side to unbind everything.

Then, retorque the front trackbar and lower control arm bolts to 125 ft lbs and the upper control arm bolts to 75 ft lbs.

This should all be done with the full weight of the vehicle on the springs--usually, with the tires on the ground.
I only loosened one control arm bolt when I installed them. The rest I did not touch. I already have a 4 inch lift on it but it never gave me problems before. I will try to loosen that one I guess and retighten it.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by Hrdtyme
I only loosened one control arm bolt when I installed them. The rest I did not touch. I already have a 4 inch lift on it but it never gave me problems before. I will try to loosen that one I guess and retighten it.
What other components are you running with the 4" springs and 1" coil spacer?

You should have:

Drag link flip steering correction kit
All 8 adjustable control arms--preferably a long arm setup if over 4" lift
Adjustable front and rear trackbars
Longer front and rear swaybar links
Extended front and rear brakelines
Extended front and rear bumpstops
Longer shocks
Relocated rear lower coil perches

Also, when any lift is installed, it is critical that all rubber bushings are pinched between the brackets in a neutral position. So, it is necessary to loosen all control arm and trackbar bolts for the install and wait to retorque them to spec until after the full weight of the vehicle is back on the springs at the new ride height.

Last edited by planman; 02-17-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default the more i see of those jks acos suggested i like the sounds

if you can raise it a inch but i wouldnt want my front jacked to high and one video says 1 .5 lift on them the quad site says 1 inch min lift ???? long term use $250 clams too maybe the plastic ones are just as good

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-17-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
if you can raise it a inch but i wouldnt want my front jacked to high and one video says 1 .5 lift on them the quad site says 1 inch min lift ???? long term use $250 clams too maybe the plastic ones are just as good
I don't understand your question. Could you restate it in complete sentences?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yeh sorry i was referring to another thread he had open regarding his 1" spacer

I don't understand your question. Could you restate it in complete sentences?
the op needed advise to what size spacer to add
the other day i had suggested 1 inch someone else said to use a jks acos and be done with it to him ( the op took my advise said the 1 inch poly style worked perfect ) but for me when i add my bumper / winch i dont want to put the jks acos on there if it will sit to high in the front due to the fact that it might sag only 1/2 inch or 3/4 and if the jks has a rise height of 1 " or more it might make my jeep sit to high in the front . It was a guess basicly as to what size spacer for him to use. but after reading about the jks acos and

>JKS Adjustable Coil Over Spacers feature billet aluminum construction, providing an appearance as impressive as their function. The threaded design accommodates changes to your vehicle with a level of precision impossible with ordinary poly spacers. Heavy duty adjustment rings are easy

Mounted to the OE spring retainers, the Adjustable Coil Over Spacer functions as the upper spring seat using a new Dura-Thane™ isolator pad to dampen road noise. Installation automatically raises your Jeep at least one full inch for immediate clearance benefits. Ride height can be increased even more by rotating the billet aluminum adjustment ring. See below for the exact range of adjustment for your vehicle

however this video says at~ 906 into video min lift is 1.5 minimum , if spun all the way back tight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRFiHGqxJ9s if its 1.5 it would be to high in front for my need or the op in the application he needed as well . but if as described on web site it says 1 inch mimimum
and that might have worked for him and might be good for me too ! ( i had dragged the converstion over to this new thread )

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-17-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

The OP installed a 1" coil spacer on top of a 4" coil lift an now has a shimmy/wobble while braking.

Quick Reply: Wobble or ?