Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

With or without shock adapters?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With or without shock adapters?

I'm wanting to put on a 2" - 2.5" budget boost on my 2008 Unlimited Rubicon and have a couple of questions. First you should probably know that outside of some mud play, I don't do much off roading and don't crawl. I'm just looking for a little beef.

First up, Teraflex offers what I'm looking for, but in two flavors. With and without shock adapters. Without adapters is $245 and with them is $321? My question is, do I need the adapters if I'm keeping the stock shocks on the Rubi?

Second, Skyjacker offers a 2" buget boost with hydro shocks for $279 or Nitro shocks for $303. It says nothing about shock adapters. The question is, this is still in the general price range as the other two yet comes with shocks. Would I be money ahead to get the skyjacker with the shocks, and if so, why? Also, should I get the Hydro or Nitro shocks?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kes
My question is, do I need the adapters if I'm keeping the stock shocks on the Rubi?
To keep the ride quality and flex the same, yes you should at least get the shock adapters.

Originally Posted by Kes
The question is, this is still in the general price range as the other two yet comes with shocks. Would I be money ahead to get the skyjacker with the shocks, and if so, why? Also, should I get the Hydro or Nitro shocks?
From what I've read, it's a little hit and miss with Skyjacker shocks....some ride really rough and some are OK.

My money would be on the Teraflex with adapters.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

great advice given above, I had the adapters then upgraded to SkyJacker Nitro 8000s, great shock for the price and a much much better ride both on and offroad.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kes
I'm wanting to put on a 2" - 2.5" budget boost on my 2008 Unlimited Rubicon and have a couple of questions. First you should probably know that outside of some mud play, I don't do much off roading and don't crawl. I'm just looking for a little beef.

First up, Teraflex offers what I'm looking for, but in two flavors. With and without shock adapters. Without adapters is $245 and with them is $321? My question is, do I need the adapters if I'm keeping the stock shocks on the Rubi?

Second, Skyjacker offers a 2" buget boost with hydro shocks for $279 or Nitro shocks for $303. It says nothing about shock adapters. The question is, this is still in the general price range as the other two yet comes with shocks. Would I be money ahead to get the skyjacker with the shocks, and if so, why? Also, should I get the Hydro or Nitro shocks?

Thanks,

Ken
Since you have a Rubi, go with the adapers. Want it to flex more, go with the kit with shocks.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Yep. I agree with the above advise too. But, if you do go with new shocks, nitro, over hydro.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Also, another option is the Rough Country 2.5" BB with the 2.2 Shocks...$299

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2.html
Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Calypso
Yep. I agree with the above advise too. But, if you do go with new shocks, nitro, over hydro.
yeah what he said, Nitros are worth every penny and ride better than the Hydros. And to add to this...I'd recommend spending the little bit extra for the springs over the spacers as Joe (TeraFlex) stated, especially on the Rubi. Can't say "how much" more flex they give but from what I've seen just in pics and eyeball seat of your pants estimating it seems a bit more than just the spacers.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all the tips. I think I'm going with the Teraflex and adapters. I'll be in touch Joe! :-)

Quick Reply: With or without shock adapters?